Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Far from being invulnerable ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Far from being invulnerable ... Reply with quote

... Mac users have simply been smugly complacent for at least five years

The critical point is not how likely it would be that someone would choose to develop such an attack, but that

Quote:
This type of Windows malware would be able to read and write the offline OS X partition completely bypassing all the OS X security, because OS X would not be running at the time.

Then, of course, there's the equally misplaced overconfidence of linux users

Again, how likely it is isn't the issue ... It's what it says about the almost religious fanaticism of some that leads them to glibly deny the possibility as an article of faith that's important - I knew I was right to give up on multiboot systems and go down the separate installations in drive-caddies route
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice when those two articles you linked to were written? April 2006. I hardly think any of that is news. We all know there have been proof of concept viruses in both mac and linux, but to the best of my knowledge there have never been any out in the wild.

However, I take your general point, and agree with you that we should never believe it will never happen.

And let's not forget, the one thing no OS or Security Suite can guard against is the idiot pressing the keyboard keys or the mouse buttons.
LoL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
Did you notice when those two articles you linked to were written? April 2006. I hardly think any of that is news.

I did ... hence my remark "for at least six years" - Did you read what I wrote? Wink

ajgreeny wrote:
However, I take your general point, and agree with you that we should never believe it will never happen.

Exactly ... History inevitably gives the lie to that - Just look at the Titanic

ajgreeny wrote:
And let's not forget, the one thing no OS or Security Suite can guard against is the idiot pressing the keyboard keys or the mouse buttons.

I live in hope that, one day, the sysadmin's armed response to the users' idiocies will be accepted as an integral part of any security suite Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: