Mandriva 2006

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva 2006

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:44 am

For us few who own a Mandriva account the latests edition 2006 is now available to download!! Have it going at home right now so by this evening I should have a lovely new Mandriva box :lol:

My brush with suse was interesting but using Yast and the akwardness of installing and upgrading packages will be a thing of the past, maybe I will give it a go again some time in the future....
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

RE: Mandriva 2006

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:05 pm

Just as a matter of interest, why did you find installing and updating packages on SuSE more difficult than on Mandriva? Admittedly urpmi is easier to use from the command-line than YaST, but I've not found much functionally different from the GUI perspective.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:56 am

Well it was just the fact that if I clicked on an rpm it would open up this stupid window that said did I want to install it with yast or put the path into yast. When I clicked on install with yast nothing would happen!! If I did the other one I would then have to go into yast, find the package and then install it. With mandriva its just one click, put in root password and then done.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 pm

Hmm, I suppose that would be a bit annoying. I never just clicked on rpms like that, and when not using YaST I have always tended to use kpackage, which I rather like.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby overflow » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:When I clicked on install with yast nothing would happen!!
Something was wrong with your set-up. I've used that same process dozens of times to install stuff with no trouble.

It might have been worth starting the whole process from a console window to catch any odd messages.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Return to Announcements