MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offensive ... ?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds

Postby jjmac » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:10 am

Nigel wrote:
>>
Actually, I think that would be in poor taste as well... we have enough potential for flame wars here with vi vs emacs, gnome vs kde, etc without bringing politics (or religion) into it :)
>>

Hey ! ... now don't start on emacs (grin).


jm
http://counter.li.org
#313537

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it o

Postby evilnick » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:52 am

I'm not sure it matters what religion they are. Anyway, the only politics we want to see on here is about free software...
User avatar
evilnick
Moderator
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:47 am
Location: LXF towers

Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offensive

Postby firefox » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:17 pm

davecs wrote:Ultimately though if the BNP were to win an election in Britain, they would try to expel non-white citizens. There would be no freedom of speech. I know what side I'm on...


Where did you get that idea from? It's not on the website or their manifesto.
firefox
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 am

RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offen

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:55 pm

firefox, what part of "the only politics we want to see on here is about free software" do you find difficult to understand?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
nelz
Site admin
 
Posts: 8578
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Warrington, UK

RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offen

Postby firefox » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 pm

point taken.
firefox
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 am

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who fi

Postby CJLL » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:16 pm

nelz wrote:Now we really are getting into the realm of unacceptable posts. This forum is not for you or anyone else to push their political views.


Sorry, I'll rephrase that, it's wonderful to have an opinion, however a sense of proportion wouldn't go amiss either. 8)
CJLL
LXF regular
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:22 pm

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one wh

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Having an opinion is good, sharing it is not always so good :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
nelz
Site admin
 
Posts: 8578
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Warrington, UK

Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offensive

Postby davecs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:15 pm

firefox wrote:
davecs wrote:Ultimately though if the BNP were to win an election in Britain, they would try to expel non-white citizens. There would be no freedom of speech. I know what side I'm on...


Where did you get that idea from? It's not on the website or their manifesto.


Well when they canvassed my street in the last election and my wife argued the toss with them on the doorstep she got called a "nigger lover" by one of them. I don't suppose that is in their manifesto either.

Oh and their leader, Nick Griffin, is currently on trial for inciting racial hatred.

Those things are not "politics" they are "fact".
Image
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
User avatar
davecs
LXF regular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:13 pm
Location: Dagenham, Essex

RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offen

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:25 pm

davecs, you complained about someone using a political URL, even though they have refrained from posting anything political. Yet you continue to post political arguments, even when you have been asked to stop.

Maybe it would be best to lock this topic...
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
nelz
Site admin
 
Posts: 8578
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Warrington, UK

RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it offen

Postby davecs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:45 pm

That was NOT a political statement, it was a factual, personal, statement as to why I find someone using the bnp web address as their nick offensive. I've had them in my street in a General Election and a Council Election. They've very directly insulted my wife, as outlined in the last post.

Lock it if you like, but as far as I am concerned the BNP (the organisation and its leaders, not necessarily people who are duped into supporting them) are scum. Anyone who talks to my wife like that has lost their entitlement to free speech as far as I am concerned.
Image
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
User avatar
davecs
LXF regular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:13 pm
Location: Dagenham, Essex

Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds it o

Postby Flea » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:28 pm

davecs wrote:That was NOT a political statement, it was a factual, personal, statement as to why I find someone using the bnp web address as their nick offensive. I've had them in my street in a General Election and a Council Election. They've very directly insulted my wife, as outlined in the last post.

Lock it if you like, but as far as I am concerned the BNP (the organisation and its leaders, not necessarily people who are duped into supporting them) are scum. Anyone who talks to my wife like that has lost their entitlement to free speech as far as I am concerned.


Sorry, one member of the BNP offending your wife is not reason enough to be offended by the entire party! That is like hating all black people because a black kid robs your house!

Please, judge people individually! I don't mean to offend you but your mindset is exactly what starts fascist parties like the BNP in the first place. :(

Edit: on a side note - Sorry Nelz I couldn't help it, but people who frequent a linux website are the sort of people who ignore rules :?
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
User avatar
Flea
LXF regular
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Ferryhill, Co. Durham

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds

Postby davecs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:09 am

That was not an isolated example, it was just a recent example. I've lived in multiracial parts of East London all my life, and I've watched them try to stir up shit. I was raised in Brick Lane, you know. I'm no kid, I'm in my fifties. I'm white and an atheist of Christian origin, but I went to a 30% Jewish school. My dad is an immigrant, BTW. When I was a kid people used to accuse the Maltese (like my dad) of running brothels.

Do you know what the BNP did in my area recently? They spread lies, that Africans were being heavily subsidised by certain councils to buy homes in my area. It was total rubbish of course, but what could have been the outcome? Would they have been happy if black families had their homes attacked as a result? It never happened because we were leafletted by Searchlight, who exposed them.

I live in a nice, quiet street. It never used to be this way, but when a few "non-whites" moved in, "certain" white people moved out. It should come as no surprise to know that when they went, all the antisocial behaviour in the street went with them.

So unless you've been threatened by racist/fascist groups, had mates threatened by them for being Black or Asian, seen people's homes attacked, don't presume to tell me that the BNP are in any way legitimate, or democratic, just because they try to look a bit more respectable these days. The veneer soon slips if you publicly disagree with them.

As for the point about hating all blacks because a black kid robs your house - bad example. If a young black kid is a criminal, other black kids do not choose to also be associated with him. However if someone forms a political party, based on fascism, racial hatred, and its leaders have rap sheets for incitement, arms offences, etc., people who join that organisation voluntarliy DO choose to be associated with them.

Nelz - you make a joke in your tag-line about Ubuntu, and very funny it is too. But we know Ubuntu means Humanity. All the people. All races and creeds. Not on the condition that they live in their country and we live in ours.

Open Source projects work around international co-operation between people of different nationalities, colours, religions, you name it. It's something I believe in, and groups like the BNP believe in something else.
Image
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
User avatar
davecs
LXF regular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:13 pm
Location: Dagenham, Essex

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: MODERATORS: Am I the only one who finds

Postby nelz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 am

Everything you say may well be correct, but absolutely none of it has any place in this forum.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
nelz
Site admin
 
Posts: 8578
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Warrington, UK

Previous

Return to This Website

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron