Linux World next week

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux World next week

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 am

Just wondered .... are any forum members intending to go to Linux World next week (5-6 October) at Olympia 2?
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Linux World next week

Postby overflow » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 pm

I'll be there Thu a.m.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

RE: Linux World next week

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:12 pm

You may see me around... But I may claim to be a farmer called Jeremy!*

M

*Old story.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:31 pm

I'm hoping to get there on one of the days, work permitting. If I do, I don't want anyone asking me "Madam, are you lost? The knitting exhibition is next week." :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:49 pm

I'll be there on Thursday. Hope to meet up with some of you :)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:45 pm

OK, so where were you all ? Where was the LXF stand ?

I did have a quick chat with linuxgirlie on the Karoshi stand, and bumped into a couple of guys from the Russian version of LXF (nice guys - they were looking for their UK counterparts as well), but of the LXF UK skiv^H^H^Htaffers there was not a sign :(

Unfortunately I missed the Great Linux Debate (too busy drooling over a really neat sub-notebook on the Dell stand), which is where Nick was billed to appear. Surely he wasn't the only one there today ?

The .org village was very good, but the rest of the show didn't seem to have the same spark as last year... or maybe that's just me.

Anyhow, nice to have a day out of the office, and my vote for the most unexpected freebie goes to the Gentoo Live CD :D
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:34 am

We didn't have a stand -- we had even better! Racks of LXF magazines could be found around the expo (and were being snapped up pretty quickly) and the Show Guide included a promo disc containing some PDFs from recent issues, info on the mag and Kubuntu :-)

Nick and I were there on Weds; I returned the same day but Nick stayed to do the panel on Thurs. Paul, Graham and Andy Chanelle went on Thurs too.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:45 am

I noticed the show guide promo & the free mags (although I didn't pick one up as I had my subscriber copy in my bag to read on the train).

I must have just gotten unlucky - I didn't bump into anybody from LXF UK, or any of the other forum regulars who were there, although I was there for a good 4 hours. Mind you, it's not easy finding people you don't know in a crowd like that :)

Suggestion for next year... how about arranging a place & time each day for people to meet up. On the LXF stand if you have one (and having exhibited at Olympia I can understand why you didn't bother with a stand this year - it's stupidly expensive), otherwise somewhere like the coffee shop or bar.

Did the Russian LXF guys find you in the end? They were very proud of their mag - the cover looked the same as the English one, but inside was all in cyrillic script. I hope it sells as well as the UK version does.
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Announcements