Wireless network card configuration??????

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless network card configuration??????

Postby comcamel » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:43 pm

I want to get a belkin wireless laptop pcmia wireless card working on my SuSE profesisonal 9.2 edition. I have had a go with ndiswrapper, is there any broadcom linux wirless adapter out there or any other way to get my network card working, possibly using generic settings.

thanks comcamel!
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Wireless network card configuration??????

Postby andychannelle » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 pm

I take it this is a 54g card? I've got a belkin 802.11b card that works out of the box. My Actiontec 54G card works fine with Ubuntu/Kubuntu but I haven't had much luck with other distros.

Andy
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:57 pm

If its the Broadcom 802.11g card, I think you're put of luck. This is the same as in the later Apple notebooks, and there appears to be no chance of driver source being released.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:44 pm

is there any way i could get a petition of getting a linux driver being made for this by a communtiy, as i am fed up of hardware companies, that are apposed to be good. providing for windows, it makes me sick. If i got enough signatures, could i get a driver source released. As a customer should it be illegal to not discriminate people who choose to use a better operating system. Honestly i may go to my lawyer and ask about it as it shows that even though of prudence and buidling for the majority of people on windows, still the source should be released, for development. I'll see if i can get my local mp on it, as i am fed up of it all. The only thing though it supports b type connection aswell.

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:13 pm

From what I've read, there are legal reaspns why Broadcom cannot release the source, or even detailed API specs, someone else owns the rights.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:39 am

well i'd say it is a very common driver - however is there any generic wireless devices that can be used to get a wireless network going as centrino and some are supported but what about a generic one?

Postby xnlb » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:18 am

I'm afraid that Broadcom have no desire to release a linux anytime in the near furure. I once had the same card as you and the only way I found to get it to work on this linux platform was to use a piece of commercial software that allowed me to input the windows driver for the card and somehow it managed to run from that. The software can be found at http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

Best of luck
xnlb
xnlb

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:09 am

The ndiswrapper works well with the broadcom XP driver.
Also its free and open sourced :)

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Postby comcamel » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:13 am

okay i have got a trial of driverloader working and the belkin pcmia card is working but when i set it up to go to my adhoc network with the wep key, my windows machine can connect and get an ip address, but my linux laptop can find the networks but doesn';t get an ip, what is up, i have put it on dchp.
comcamel
LXF regular

Return to Help!