Music - What Do You Use?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby leke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:06 pm

I actually use these guys http://listen.grooveshark.com/ nowadays. They seem to have everything I ever like/liked.
leke
LXF regular

Postby Raymond » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 am

I use a Sansa e280 8gb + 16gb microSD with Rockbox. I record my records and CD`s to flac, only fit about 1250 songs in but at least all the musics still there.
Raymond

Postby shaddack » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 am

What are the best softwares on Linux to rip CD tracks and convert them to FLAC?
shaddack

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 am

I prefer Audacity, you will have to rip your CD`s to .WAV first but then you can adjust the volume, fill in the ID tag with artist title etc (Roxio Media Creator 2011 doesn`t fill them in) and if they`re off records remove clicks.
Raymond

Postby nelz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 am

I use abcde to rip to FLAC and Ogg Vorbis at the same time. It's command line, quick to use and fills in the ID tags for you.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Just lately I have been using Audex (you can rip to pretty much any codec as long as it's installed), since my old favourite, Grip, is not so easy to come by.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby CarltonMoore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 am

Somewhere Ilong the line I noticed Sabayon (KDE version) included Clementine as the default audio player instead of Amarok. I've used and loved Amarok for years but was pleasantly surprised to see Clementine was modeled after Amarok 1.4 and that it synced my 3rd generation ipod nano without any fiddling around. It's all I use now in KDE or Gnome.
http://www.clementine-player.org/

.... and as someone else said, Grooveshark is well worth looking at.[/url]
CarltonMoore

Postby dictatorofzanzibar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:44 am

my two cents, as a good iTunes-style music player for linux is something I've long hunted for: I use Banshee for my music library, considering it more to my liking than Rhythmbox only by a small margin.

If I want to play through a lot of specific items, albums, classical music, etc., especially with messy metadata or that I otherwise don't want in my regular library, I like Deadbeef.

Banshee can be buggy at times, and I don't believe there is a perfect music player for my tastes yet. I'll try Clementine if I ever become a KDE guy, and it seems much nicer than Amarok. Plus the orange segment icon always looks so refreshing. :)
dictatorofzanzibar

Music - What Do You Use?

Postby jtapcug » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm a musician/developer so I use Audacity, Rosegarden and sonar to create my music. i use Armonk, Kdplayer, Mplayer, or what ever the current Linux partition I'm booted in has for a default player.
I have to use Itunes on windows 7 when i put my music on my 64gb Ipod
(I haven't broken it yet since its still under warranty).
Unfortunately I didn't find out I couldn't write programs for the Ipod, with out at least an Apple Net-book Pro (1199.99 + 100.00 for for transfer license)
till after I bought it.
jtapcug

Postby shaddack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 am

nelz wrote:I use abcde to rip to FLAC and Ogg Vorbis at the same time. It's command line, quick to use and fills in the ID tags for you.

abcde seems very interesting! Thanks for pointing it out!
shaddack

Postby heiowge » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 am

I use VLC to play my music on my PC and my 8 GB Sansa Clip when I'm out and about. In the car, all my music comes through a USB drive to the stereo.

CD ripping? Not done it in years. I haven't bought a new CD in the last decade that I can recall, and the last one I got bought for me was the first Tenacious D album. :lol:

I tend to get my music as mp3s these days and store them as such.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby dizwell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 am

Because I rip to single-file FLACs with embedded cuesheets, the only Linux audio player I can meaningfully use is QMMP.

Think Winamp from 10 years ago! It's not pretty, but it's functional.

I really wish more players would support embedded cuesheets.

Some rippers that can produce them would be nice, too (I resort to Foobar2000 in Wine to convert my multi-file FLAC rips to the single-file variety).

If I had a choice, I'd be playing them in Exaile, I think.
dizwell

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 am

man abcde wrote:Alternatively, abcde can also grab a CD and turn it into a single FLAC file with an embedded cuesheet which can be user later on as a source for other formats, and will be treated as if it was the original CD. In a way, abcde can take a compressed backup of your CD collection.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dizwell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Well, it's good to know that there is a ripper on Linux that can produce single-file FLACs with embedded cuesheets.

Now, if only it were actually usable! :-)

OK, I'm being sarcastic. I've used abcde before, but command line tools for this sort of thing aren't my idea of fun -I was really referring to a ripper on Linux with a nice GUI frontend. Also, I never did work out how to edit the CDDB information extensively using this tool before ripping (Foobar2000 has no problems in that regard) -it's almost always wrong for classical music, so ease of getting the ID3 tags correct prior to the rip taking place is really important to me.

And then it's the familiarity thing: I've known Foobar2000 for years; abcde not so much. :P
dizwell

Postby nelz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:29 am

I have a perfectly usable GUI for abcde here, it's called Konsole :P
nelz
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion