Linksys Router WAG54G2 - how to reset time

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linksys Router WAG54G2 - how to reset time

Postby david911 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 am

I've been having drop-outs on my internet connection for a while, normally resolved by powering it on and off. Curious to see what the problem might be, I went in to the control panel and noticed that the date is set to 1st January 1970. This may just be a (harsh but fair) comment on my musical taste and dress sense, but then again it could be part of the problem. I have searched, investigated, and even looked on Google, but I cannot find a way to reset the date and time without setting up the router software again. Unless anyone can offer a suggestion, of course?

A puzzle, indeed,

david
david911

Postby towy71 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am

My Linksys router has automatic time set by ntp, is there not a switch/menu item on the setup page? BTW most PC bios' have that date set as a default :roll:

I too had connectivity problems which I thought might be the router but was in fact BT's dodgy wiring at a junction box 70 metres down the road!
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:42 am

Does the router go with this initial setting after the link has been running for a while?
I used to find, with a netgear router (also only getting date set via ntp), that acquiring the date and time was extremely delayed. These days it happens within a few minutes of the reboot, which I attribute the change from VirginMedia as ISP.
The situation was ameliorated somewhat by providing an alternative ntp server address for the router to try - but it was a bit fiddly to find one which worked reliably (under Virgin).
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 pm

If you need to set an NTP server use the free pool.ntp.org service. You should get the best results with uk.pool.ntp.org - see NTP Pool Project for full details.
ollie

Postby david911 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks for all the help. I have not managed to find a way of re-setting the router, but suddenly everything is working well again. My ISP and BT deny ever there was any problem, but you never know.

Also, hoovering out the router from beneath seemed to help.

Cheers,

David
david911

Return to Hardware