New tablet

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New tablet

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm

For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 pm

TechRadar wrote:Tags: Advent Vega, Advent Amico, PC World, Currys, Dixons

Arrghhh! The Unholy Trinity! :shock:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 am

whats wrong with them?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:whats wrong with them?
They are not very helpful if you mention Linux, their prices are high, they are all the same company......
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:58 am

OK granted prices are high, but so are most in store stores :shock:

Linux:- They are releasing tablets with Android on which is sort of linux is you look from the right angle

Currys is the only 'electronics' store near me at the moment and I haven't figured out how to get stuff delivered to me yet.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

towy71 wrote:
They are not very helpful if you mention Linux, their prices are high, they are all the same company......

It depends.

While the staff are invariant muppets, that muppetry often results in some nice bits of kit being sold off at silly prices.

You just have to look out for it.

They are currently selling PogoPlugs for £49.99 (in store), which is considerably cheaper than anyone else (e.g. Scan, £74.99).

See herefor things you can do with one.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Aside from towy has mentioned.
My experience principally being of Currys and PCWorld, in part as Dixons seems to have disappeared from the high street.
Currys: unless I can find it for myself and guide the staff to it, I'm out of luck.
PCWorld: very much pot-luck, in the past I have found an item I wanted but haven't been able to buy it because it was not priced and none of the staff available could find a price for it. :roll:
OTOH I have twice stumbled across helpful and knowledgeable staff in PCWorld, though I haven't bothered to mention Linux, as I didn't want to push my luck.
Then again, local computer stores frequently aren't any better if the proprietor (and font of all knowledge) doesn't happen to be in. Otherwise ink cartridges seem to be about the limit of their competence.

Linux Emporium has been good for me in the past though. But of course, most of that has been ordered on-line.

Edit: perhaps you could pop into PCWorld and ask them if the Android tablet will work with Linux. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 am

Rhakios wrote:perhaps you could pop into PCWorld and ask them if the Android tablet will work with Linux. ;)

I've got a currys down the hill from me so that will have to do. Could be rather funny. :D
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby hecatae » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 am

AndyBaxman wrote:
They are currently selling PogoPlugs for £49.99 (in store), which is considerably cheaper than anyone else (e.g. Scan, £74.99).

is that in Pc World or Currys?
hecatae

Postby nelz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Certainly in PC World, I've ordered one for collection today. Beware of their new account system's lack of security. After placing the order it sent me an email with login details for the account and advice to change he password. All well and good but after I changed the password, it sent me a confirmation email, also a good idea, except it included my new password in plain text!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 am

hecatae wrote:
AndyBaxman wrote:

is that in Pc World or Currys?

PC World.

Get yourself a cheap USB drive, and you have yourself a low power LAMP server for under £100
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby hecatae » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:PC World.

Get yourself a cheap USB drive, and you have yourself a low power LAMP server for under £100

thank you
hecatae

Return to Hardware