Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

openSUSE 11.3 released
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: openSUSE 11.3 released Reply with quote

It's gone gold people, get it while its still shiny.
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Product_highlights

hehe Did I just beat Rhakios to it Smile

Having been a Slacker for 10 years and flipping at xmas to Ubuntu, I'm in the mood for another.

In the past I've flirted with other distros as most have, however, find myself happily heading toward full blown Linux polygamy!

11.3 looks pretty good. Can't believe movie studios worry about HD piracy. Struggling to crack 30k/sec, not exactly a torrent of data, more a minor leak. Smile
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: openSUSE 11.3 released Reply with quote

nordle wrote:

hehe Did I just beat Rhakios to it Smile

Who, me? The Ubuntu 10.04 user?

Currently I have 3 out of 4GiB by torrent of the 32-bit DVD. I think I'll try it out on my HP Mini as they reckon it's netbook-friendly. I might also get the 64-bit version to try out on my test box at the weekend.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to up to three years of Ubuntu on my main desktop.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe the studios should worry, now cracking on at 600k.

Not bad for the 15th century hemp string they use for comms round here.

Rhakios, I'd forgotten about your defection to the dark side. Probably my brain using some sort of protection mechanism by erasing painful memories.....or one too many grape juices.

To be honest, after a month, I felt ok about being another buntu user. But was a little surprised with the number of bugs and the time some take to resolve. Then again, its got way more packages than Slack had so bound to be more problematic.

My old mans PC started life as Ubuntu 7.10 and has been upgraded, mostly without too many issues, through each release up to 10.04 But his install is basic. Except for maybe nxMachines on the laptop. But even with 10.04, it broke gnome-vfs mounts. So Rhythmbox refuses to play files over samba share like it used to without using the gnome-vfs-ls smb:\\server\share each time its booted.

I digress.

Not having used KDE since 3.5.8 (2007) I thought it might be a good time to look at this KDE 4 malarkey.
Am also interested to look at the Android stuff and other Novell niceties.

What does your mini usually run? UNR?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordle wrote:

What does your mini usually run? UNR?

At the moment, yes. It's the first Linux to work on it properly, albeit only fully, after installation. But, I'm using the full Gnome desktop instead of the Netbook interface.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it rather a tradition amongst we SUSE users to avoid the .3 versions? Rolling Eyes

Having said that, I'll probably give it a whirl some time soon. Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:
Isn't it rather a tradition amongst we SUSE users to avoid the .3 versions? Rolling Eyes

Well, according to this thread, none of us avoided 10.3, so no. Though we did manage to veer way off topic on a number of occasions.
In fact, 10.3 was a pleasantly stable update to 10.2, which itself had been a relief after the packaging nightmare of 10.1.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I avoided 11 and went from 10.3 to 11.1.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
.. we did manage to veer way off topic on a number of occasions.

Pretty much par for the course on this forum. Very Happy

Looking back, I obviously got it wrong. It must be the .1 versions we avoid !
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnurrr!

Yes, that's the sort of sound I've been making just lately.

64-bit installed okay under VMWare Workstation, although a problem I had previously noticed, in the last RC, of it failing to remember screen resolution between boots persists. Also, the mouse cursor is sometimes a bit "sticky" and won't let go. Otherwise fine.

As for 32-bit on the HP Mini. In order to get anywhere with the install I had to opt for text mode (yay! I love text installers, no really, I do) and local noapic. Otherwise it would stick at the splash screen and lock up.
Reboot after installation fails, gnurrr! Choosing the safe mode kernel option gets a little way and then locks up solid. For completists, the final message on screen reads:

Code:

[   7.700597] b43-pci-bridge 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10

To save me looking for my Ubuntu NE disc, the LXF team handily provided a copy with this month's magazine, ta!

I will try it out on real 64-bit hardware tomorrow, when I've wiped away the tears.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the 32-bit DVD on Friday evening and have installed it tonight on my Windows XP/Linux multiboot Asus Terminator desktop. It installed OK and I had no problems with rebooting afterwards. However, slightly inconveniently, the KDE panel at the bottom of the screen was not visible as a result of whatever resolution SuSE had decided to set.

Anyway I eventually discovered that I could fix that by adding nomodeset to the boot options (I suppose I should have read the release notes first!).

As it is now late, I don't intend exploring 11.3 any further at the moment and will return to it in due course. I must say though I am rather concerned about the number of problems which people on the SUSE Forums seem to be running into with this latest release.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case the failure with the HP Mini seems unusual, this particular version of the Mini has defeated all Linux challengers until 10.04 came along, even then, installation wasn't trouble free.
Still one would expect that the latest openSUSE could manage to go where Ubuntu has managed to go before.

It's a shame really, I noticed that KDE under 11.3 has Netbook as a desktop activity type and I wanted to try it out for myself, I'm not prepared to mess with the comfortable set up on my Wind U90, so it looks like that will have to wait until I have time to try it out on my HP2133 Mini-Note (too many computers, too little time <sigh!>).
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read about Google Chrome in LXF135 I thought I would try it out. So I installed it on SUSE 11.3. I didn't opt at installation to set it as the default browser as I wanted to see what it was like first. However trying to set it as the default afterwards, I discovered that it will not let you do this.
See http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=33842

I then installed it on Ubuntu 10.04. Followed the same procedure - waited until post-installation to select as the default browser. It worked immediately.

Another reason why so many people use Ubuntu these days?
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe everything you read! I've just set my default browser to chromium and clicked on a link in a PDF. What came up straight away? Chromium.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
Don't believe everything you read! I've just set my default browser to chromium and clicked on a link in a PDF. What came up straight away? Chromium.

The bug report says this only occurs with KDE4, so if you're using Gnome you won't have the same problem.
Even so, there are two possible problems here: 1 is that one cannot set Chrome as default browser.
2 is that although it claims not to be set as default browser, actually, it is. <shrugs>
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therein lies the problem. openSUSE provides chromium, which works flawlessly with KDE4, rather than Chrome.

I use the standard KDE Live-CD of openSUSE 11.3 and I made the PDF link using Okular; I would argue therefore that the bug lies in Chrome, not in KDE. Chromium has always worked perfectly on my system and I now use it regularly for any site which Konqueror cannot render properly (which is not many).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: