Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple must be doing summat right....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CJLL
LXF regular


Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:22 pm
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
PCNetSpec wrote:
Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?


That's not a sensible response. If you're going to deliver a letter a few doors up the road, you don't take your car.
M


You've obviously not lived around Portsmouth then! Confused

Quote:
If someone wants to do tasks A, B and C, give them the best machine to do those tasks.


If only, stuck with a arthritic Dell with 1GB Ram here, and that's one of the good computers! Rolling Eyes
_________________
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCNetSpec
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 631
Location: Cornwall UK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
If someone wants to do tasks A, B and C, give them the best machine to do those tasks.


If the machine was free I would agree, but if you have to buy it you have to consider the fact that at some point in the future task D may become a requirement and will be beyond its capabilities.

And if task D already exists, and is a major part of the interweb.....

if task A,B or C is web browsing... task D is going to come up fairly quickly.

Can you be sure that task D, E or F will never be a requirement? (or driving to the shops for that matter)

When they get back to you asking "why doesn't my new computer do what my friends does?... can you upgrade it please".......

If people aren't "knowledgeable" about computers, don't "limit" them, "teach" them.

I have no doubt that people WILL buy iPads by the bucket full, but not because they are the "best" machine for computing tasks... if it suits your purposes, why not, but is foolproof at the expense of functionality "really" a selling point?
_________________
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7620
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCNetSpec wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:
I've already explained that it looks perfect for my computer-illiterate parents


I'm not convinced... smacks a bit of holding them back because of an idea that you have about their ability to learn anything new.

Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?

Surely helping them learn would be the best way forward.

I have nothing against the iPad, if that is what people "want" but I would definitely point out its limitations and explain the benefits of a full blown system.


I hereby demand that you come to the Midlands and teach my father about using Linux! Despite the fact that he managed to run his own business with reasonable success for 40 years, when faced with a computer his brain turns to jelly.
The other week I found a website he had been looking for and showed him how you could use one or two of its features which my mother was interested in, I then said, "I'll add it to your bookmarks." He looked at me blankly, I repeated myself, still the blank look. He has been using a computer for about four years now (I think) but hasn't managed to discover the miracle of browser bookmarks, despite the fact that I have set up quite a few for him in the past.
For some mysterious reason when faced with normal English on a computer his ability to comprehend it deserts him.
It would be nice if I could afford to get him an iPad, but it wouldn't do what he wants, which includes generating, scanning and printing documents.
He wants me to show him how to scan (again!) this weekend, oh well. Sad
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCNetSpec
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 631
Location: Cornwall UK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh... OK point taken Smile

Born in the heart of the Black Country (Sedgley)... took me 40 years to move to Cornwall, sorry but I aint coming back for anything... so I'm afraid you're on your own with that one. Smile
_________________
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M-Saunders
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm
Posts: 2893

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCNetSpec wrote:
Can you be sure that task D, E or F will never be a requirement? (or driving to the shops for that matter)


Of course not, but if D, E and F are the type of tasks that my parents would ever wish to do, I'm very confident they're covered by the 150,000 apps in the App Store.

It's safe to assume that my parents won't ever want to run an SSH server or NASM Smile

M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bazza
LXF regular


Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 1468
Location: Loughborough

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike...

> It's safe to assume that my parents won't ever want
> to run an SSH server or NASM :)

Simultaneous Sample and Hold?

National Academy of Sports Medicine?

;oD
_________________
73...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
External_Floppy



Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Birmingham, UK.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:


Of course not, but if D, E and F are the type of tasks that my parents would ever wish to do, I'm very confident they're covered by the 150,000 apps in the App Store.
M


I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you (as a user of FOSS) try to explain to your folks that while you get software for free they have to pay for it from the App Store. Smile
_________________
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ollie
Moderator


Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2749
Location: Bathurst NSW Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But most people are quite happy to buy products through the app store (iTunes) for a few dollars. You can get a keyboard for the iPad to type up documents and it can't be long before Bluetooth printer manufacturers release free "apps" so you can use Bluetooth to print documents and pictures.

The killer for me is the limited storage, lack of SD-HC expansion, lack of front and back cameras and PC sync "requirements". I'll wait and see what iPad v2011 or v2012 looks like Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeeNukes
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 pm
Posts: 954
Location: At the bar

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

It just doesn't make economical sense.
_________________
Join GiffGaff and get 5 free credit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7620
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeNukes wrote:
With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

It just doesn't make economical sense.


Oh boy! Don't you just love the perpetuation of the car analogy in computing. Rolling Eyes

Fortunately computers are mostly cheaper than cars, although they are more expensive than hammers and screwdrivers - thus making the tool-for-job principle a matter of how deep your pockets are.
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaveS



Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 49
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the arguments rumble on, iPads are selling as fast as they can make them............. What can you say?
_________________
Mostly Minty with a dash of Puppy......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7620
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
What can you say?


I wish I'd bought shares in Apple while everyone thought they were still crap?

Wink
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeeNukes
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 pm
Posts: 954
Location: At the bar

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with my HTC Desire. That doesn't need iTunes at all. So, incidentally, as iTunes doesn't work on Linux, why are we talking about iPads? Wink Laughing
_________________
Join GiffGaff and get 5 free credit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ollie
Moderator


Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2749
Location: Bathurst NSW Australia

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeNukes wrote:
With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

It just doesn't make economical sense.


... but I have a dual cab 4WD ute, an 8-seat people mover and my eldest daughter has a small 4-door hatch (both my daughters still live with me). Doesn't everyone have a range of vehicles available for the task at hand? Razz

And doesn't everyone have a couple of desktops, a laptop and a netbook and everyone else that lives with you has at least one computer? Then there are more desktops and servers at work! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7620
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeNukes wrote:
I'm happy with my HTC Desire.


Yes, they're lovely phones aren't they.

Quote:

That doesn't need iTunes at all.


But, it can be used with iTunes if you don't have decent music player, like Amarok

Quote:

So, incidentally, as iTunes doesn't work on Linux, why are we talking about iPads? Wink Laughing


Please note the section of the board you're posting in. Razz
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast