Apple must be doing summat right....

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby CJLL » Fri May 28, 2010 3:11 pm

M-Saunders wrote:
PCNetSpec wrote:Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?

That's not a sensible response. If you're going to deliver a letter a few doors up the road, you don't take your car.
M

You've obviously not lived around Portsmouth then! :?

If someone wants to do tasks A, B and C, give them the best machine to do those tasks.

If only, stuck with a arthritic Dell with 1GB Ram here, and that's one of the good computers! :roll:
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

M-Saunders wrote:If someone wants to do tasks A, B and C, give them the best machine to do those tasks.

If the machine was free I would agree, but if you have to buy it you have to consider the fact that at some point in the future task D may become a requirement and will be beyond its capabilities.

And if task D already exists, and is a major part of the interweb.....

if task A,B or C is web browsing... task D is going to come up fairly quickly.

Can you be sure that task D, E or F will never be a requirement? (or driving to the shops for that matter)

When they get back to you asking "why doesn't my new computer do what my friends does?... can you upgrade it please".......

If people aren't "knowledgeable" about computers, don't "limit" them, "teach" them.

I have no doubt that people WILL buy iPads by the bucket full, but not because they are the "best" machine for computing tasks... if it suits your purposes, why not, but is foolproof at the expense of functionality "really" a selling point?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 28, 2010 6:02 pm

PCNetSpec wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:I've already explained that it looks perfect for my computer-illiterate parents

I'm not convinced... smacks a bit of holding them back because of an idea that you have about their ability to learn anything new.

Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?

Surely helping them learn would be the best way forward.

I have nothing against the iPad, if that is what people "want" but I would definitely point out its limitations and explain the benefits of a full blown system.

I hereby demand that you come to the Midlands and teach my father about using Linux! Despite the fact that he managed to run his own business with reasonable success for 40 years, when faced with a computer his brain turns to jelly.
The other week I found a website he had been looking for and showed him how you could use one or two of its features which my mother was interested in, I then said, "I'll add it to your bookmarks." He looked at me blankly, I repeated myself, still the blank look. He has been using a computer for about four years now (I think) but hasn't managed to discover the miracle of browser bookmarks, despite the fact that I have set up quite a few for him in the past.
For some mysterious reason when faced with normal English on a computer his ability to comprehend it deserts him.
It would be nice if I could afford to get him an iPad, but it wouldn't do what he wants, which includes generating, scanning and printing documents.
He wants me to show him how to scan (again!) this weekend, oh well. :(
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri May 28, 2010 10:10 pm

heh... OK point taken :)

Born in the heart of the Black Country (Sedgley)... took me 40 years to move to Cornwall, sorry but I aint coming back for anything... so I'm afraid you're on your own with that one. :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 am

PCNetSpec wrote:Can you be sure that task D, E or F will never be a requirement? (or driving to the shops for that matter)

Of course not, but if D, E and F are the type of tasks that my parents would ever wish to do, I'm very confident they're covered by the 150,000 apps in the App Store.

It's safe to assume that my parents won't ever want to run an SSH server or NASM :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Mike...

> It's safe to assume that my parents won't ever want
> to run an SSH server or NASM :)

Simultaneous Sample and Hold?

National Academy of Sports Medicine?

;oD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby External_Floppy » Sun May 30, 2010 1:08 am

M-Saunders wrote:
Of course not, but if D, E and F are the type of tasks that my parents would ever wish to do, I'm very confident they're covered by the 150,000 apps in the App Store.
M

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you (as a user of FOSS) try to explain to your folks that while you get software for free they have to pay for it from the App Store. :)
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
External_Floppy

Postby ollie » Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 am

But most people are quite happy to buy products through the app store (iTunes) for a few dollars. You can get a keyboard for the iPad to type up documents and it can't be long before Bluetooth printer manufacturers release free "apps" so you can use Bluetooth to print documents and pictures.

The killer for me is the limited storage, lack of SD-HC expansion, lack of front and back cameras and PC sync "requirements". I'll wait and see what iPad v2011 or v2012 looks like :wink:
ollie

Postby LeeNukes » Sun May 30, 2010 3:32 pm

With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

It just doesn't make economical sense.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 30, 2010 5:25 pm

LeeNukes wrote:With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

Oh boy! Don't you just love the perpetuation of the car analogy in computing. :roll:

Fortunately computers are mostly cheaper than cars, although they are more expensive than hammers and screwdrivers - thus making the tool-for-job principle a matter of how deep your pockets are.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby DaveS » Sun May 30, 2010 10:54 pm

While the arguments rumble on, iPads are selling as fast as they can make them............. What can you say?
Mostly Minty with a dash of Puppy......
DaveS

Postby Rhakios » Sun May 30, 2010 10:56 pm

DaveS wrote:What can you say?

I wish I'd bought shares in Apple while everyone thought they were still crap?

:wink:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby LeeNukes » Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am

I'm happy with my HTC Desire. That doesn't need iTunes at all. So, incidentally, as iTunes doesn't work on Linux, why are we talking about iPads? :wink: :lol:
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 pm

LeeNukes wrote:With regards to the right tool for the job, would it make sense to have several different types of cars? A smart car for little City trips, a bigger car for doing some motorway travel and a people carrier for family trips out?

... but I have a dual cab 4WD ute, an 8-seat people mover and my eldest daughter has a small 4-door hatch (both my daughters still live with me). Doesn't everyone have a range of vehicles available for the task at hand? :P

And doesn't everyone have a couple of desktops, a laptop and a netbook and everyone else that lives with you has at least one computer? Then there are more desktops and servers at work! :wink:
ollie

Postby Rhakios » Mon May 31, 2010 1:30 pm

LeeNukes wrote:I'm happy with my HTC Desire.

Yes, they're lovely phones aren't they.

That doesn't need iTunes at all.

But, it can be used with iTunes if you don't have decent music player, like Amarok

So, incidentally, as iTunes doesn't work on Linux, why are we talking about iPads? :wink: :lol:

Please note the section of the board you're posting in. :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS