PHP jquery help browser

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PHP jquery help browser

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

I am making a web app and I have put a little help icon on each page, which when clicked opens a popup which should display help for the page. However I want a search feature and tree menu down the side of the help page (like this but without the frames)

I want all the help stored in a database, and the link to the help on each page looks something like 'help.php?page=12' where 12 is the id of the help in the database.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything like what I would like is already in existence, or whether I need to go and learn me some Jquery!

Thanks
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Wed May 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Arrrrggggg! Anything but a tree menu!!!! Arrrggggg!!!!! :shock:
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Any suggestions of alternatives?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:Any suggestions of alternatives?

Pictures of Unicorns in various sizes?
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:14 am

And the user navigates by clicking on the unicorns? How do they know what is where??
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Thu May 20, 2010 8:18 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:And the user navigates by clicking on the unicorns? How do they know what is where??

Sorry, wizzy tree menus are a pain to use, I was going to point you at Micro$oft's msdn SQL Server documentation site, but it seems that even the mighty Micro$oft has got the message. :)

Try having a table of contents page:

Chapter 1
Topic 1
Topic 2
Topic 3
Chapter 2
Topic 1
Topic 2
Topic 3

At the top of each page have links to the contents page, chapter page, previous topic and next topic.

At the bottom of each page, you could include links to related topics.
--
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Thu May 20, 2010 9:17 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:And the user navigates by clicking on the unicorns? How do they know what is where??

It was a joke, you asked for alternatives, not necessarily sane ones ;)

Personally, I have no problem with tree menus as long as they don't get too deep. So not a menu, within a menu, within a menu etc.

For normal websites I'd avoid them, but if you're writing an application, I think the rules are different.

Have you thought about writing it in Google Docs? You can have a contents page generated for you which is click-able. Sure, its more a document with navigate-able index but its quick, easy and free.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 am

LeeNukes wrote:

It was a joke, you asked for alternatives, not necessarily sane ones ;)

I gathered that, next time I will remember to ask for sane suggestions!

I will have a look at google docs and making a contents table.

CJLL:- Do you mean something like the ubuntu documentation? (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/keeping-s ... words.html for example)
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:CJLL:- Do you mean something like the ubuntu documentation? (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/keeping-s ... words.html for example)

Works much better doesn't it? :)
--
CJLL
LXF regular

Return to Programming