A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby bigjohn » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:07 am

I was just re-reading the "72 Speedups" in LXF72.

This looks very much like an excellent article, but even after 3+ years of meddling with linux distro's (various) I'n still finding many, many terms that I'm unfamiliar with.

It occurred to me that a handy addition to the website would be a little search box, that you can input a term/word/acronym to find out what it means or what it does, possible with a small link to somewhere if theres a better location for an explaination on what something does/how it works (man pages come to mind here).

Afterall, I wouldn't have thought it would take up too many resources if the response to a query was just text - like in a dictionary. We already have databased facilities so is it too much to ask ?????

Sorry if this has already been suggested/considered, but it does seem like a good idea - maybe even in "wiki" type format ?????

regards

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby Flea » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Isn't that what the wikipedia is for? You'll probably find anything you want in there. In the unlikely event that you don't, it would be more productive to have the entry added in there instead of in a separate LXF specific wiki that most of the world wouldn't even know exists!

besides, we've had a slow LXF website already, really don't wanna go back there! :)

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:09 pm

I agree, if there is no entry maybe you could write your own or....tell us here and someone will go to wikipedia and wrote one for you, its a brilliant resource and teh only reason why we no-longer pay for encarta.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Re: RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby bigjohn » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:15 pm

Flea wrote:Isn't that what the wikipedia is for? You'll probably find anything you want in there. In the unlikely event that you don't, it would be more productive to have the entry added in there instead of in a separate LXF specific wiki that most of the world wouldn't even know exists!

Well, I've spent a while digging around wikipedia and to be honest, it might be a massive resource, but IMO, it's producing so much extraneous garbage when you do a search for anything (a la google), I was thinking along the lines of linux specific, because it's many times easier to direct someone to a link with the info.

Plus, why should it slow things down ??? if it's just generating a text reply i.e no fancy formatting or other detritus. Maybe it could be sponsored by someone i.e. a basic server, small graphic window for input and a reply of "dmesg is the linux command for ........... this info is brought to you courtesy of (for example) Microsoft linux 1.0" ( :D ).

I don't see why it should affect the forums - after all, the main LXF site doesn't!
bigjohn
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby evilnick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:32 pm

hmmm. have you been peeking into our minds?
evilnick

Postby Rhakios » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Or indeed, reading the newsletter :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bigjohn » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 am

I don't understand most of the bloody magazine, so unless the newsletter or the contents of your mind appear as floating word bubbles in the murky depths of a 400 litre diesel tank, then No! :shock: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: 8)
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 am

And here we have it:

http://linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Linux_Glossary

As this is based on the original Wiki, some parts may be dated, but most of it is still useful. Now let's flesh it our with new stuff!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby bigjohn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:57 pm

Bonus! 8)

I suppose that entires need to be written in "english", as opposed to doing cut'npaste from man pages written in technonerd ! :twisted: :shock: :roll:

Well done though!

regards

John

p.s. Oh bugger. That means I'll have to find out how to add things to a wiki, so I can actually be of some "real" help! :(
bigjohn
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:47 am

bigjohn wrote:p.s. Oh bugger. That means I'll have to find out how to add things to a wiki, so I can actually be of some "real" help! :(

Wikis are really easy to edit -- you just write in plain text, and add the odd bit of formatting. For instance:

* This would
* Make a
* Bulleed list

And how to make a [[link]] (so 'link' would be clickable)

== This would be a headline ==

---- (and that makes a line, like a BR in HTML)

The best way to learn is to look through some pages, click Edit and see how they work. MediaWiki has some advanced functionality -- but for 99% of content, just the basics will suffice.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A dictionary/glossary of terms ?????

Postby bigjohn » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:55 pm

Cheers M-Saunders, I'll give it a try when I get a minute or two.

regards

John
bigjohn
LXF regular

Return to This Website