Themes

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Themes

Postby lxfadmin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:32 pm

We will be supporting a limited selection of themes on this site. One of the reasons for this is that we recognise a lot of people, presumably under duress, view the site using IE. IE doesn't support lots of nice stuff like transparent PNGs properly, or indeed a lot of CSS stuff which heavily used on this site.
So the default theme is a bit of a lowest common denominator. We want to produce a better looking theme for Mozilla/Firefox users for a start, and also a low bandwidth theme.
I'm sure some people will clamour for a nostalgic orange theme too!
lxfadmin

RE: Themes

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:02 pm

I'm sure some people will clamour for a nostalgic orange theme too!

funny i was going ask someone is it possible to change the theme to get rid of the god awful orange!
Newton's Fourth Law: Every action has an equal and opposite satisfaction.
Ed

Postby evilnick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:14 pm

The forum theme is very, very complicated. And it just happened to be orange - I had no part in that!

It is possible to change though.
evilnick

Postby guy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:09 pm

I like the blue-and-orange. Please keep it as an option.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:46 pm

well, most of the theme is done through CSS, so it is a lot easier to change (In Firefox, try View->Page Style-> No Style to see how much of the theme is CSS).
In the future we may open it up for users to submit themes.
evilnick

Postby Erin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:52 pm

"Vive l'orange"
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:19 am

L'orange? Bouf! Forza Extra_Lite!
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Orange !!!

Extra_Lite is where it's at !

I just turned on "Authour" mode in Opera (7.54), which basically uses the site stylesheet. It's quite a pleasent grey, which changes slightly in each post cell. The rest is white. Grey can be a good colour for the eyes sometimes if it's worked properly.

I'm all for customised themes though. Especially if the pages are using some 'cgi' technique to generate. Would it really be that hard to code up. I do program so i can apprieciate these things, but i haven't had anything to do with web pages except for some basic html.

I'm using a custom theme now. Just by using the styleNN.css file as a template, and extracting the relevant class= values from some pages. It's a pity that Opera only has one user mode style. A few different ones, for different sites would be very handy.

I just wish i had thought of it ages ago, i could have saved myself a lot of friggen around.

If LXF was to expand on the theme idea, and include customisation, based on a users profile (registered only of course), it would be a unique move. Does anybody know of an other site that bothers. LXF could rightly claim it as an innovative first ,.. no !, aside from the benifit to people utilising the site, it must be good for LXFs' profile as well.

Anyhow, enough sales pitch for one day. Hope the themes idea doesn't stagenate, but i think you guys could probably drop the orange if you really wanted to. :)

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to This Website