C# n00b question - rec'd reading?

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

C# n00b question - rec'd reading?

Postby crossy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm planning to have a go at C# (I'm a *nix programmer, but increasingly being asked for Windows stuff - yuk), so can anyone recommend a book (or two) that'd be useful to get me up to speed?

The Eric Gunnerson book on C# seems to come highly recommended, and I'm guessing that since I'm coming from Unix/Linux that something on Mono is probably going to be needed as well. The approach I want to use is develop on Linux and then "port" as needed to Windows.

I can already program in a variety of languages, (Perl, Python, C, various shells), so something that - for example - doesn't waste 10 pages explaining what a loop is would be useful. I don't think I'll be needing to do SDL, GUI development, so although that kind of information would be interesting in the longer term, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if it's not there. :wink:

Thanks. Bob.
crossy

Postby Ram » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Have look at this tread. From the MonoDevlop mailing list archive.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Re: C# n00b question - rec'd reading?

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

crossy wrote:The approach I want to use is develop on Linux and then "port" as needed to Windows.

I really wouldn't recommend this approach. There are differences between MS .NET and Mono which can bite in unexpected ways.

Granted that if you need do develop for both Windows and Linux then you have little choice, but if you are going to deploy mostly to Windows then you should develop on Windows.

Unlike Java, where there are various official runtimes for different platforms, the only "official" runtimes for .NET are on Windows.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Return to Programming