Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HTML5...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: HTML5... Reply with quote

Hi brethren...

Jeez, this is exciting reading...

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/

About as exciting as watching paint dry... ;o|

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
kneekoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML 5 might be mature enough but browsers aren't, and by this I mean the dreadful Internet Explorer in its various versions that are still a major part of today's internet experience. IE9 is on its way but without XP support so A LOT of people will lag behind for at least 2-3 more years and this also assuming IE9 and IE10 would play nice with HTML 5.

Chrome is also not yet mature in many aspects and that only leaves us with Firefox and Opera, which altogether don't sum up at least 50% of total internet users. What happens to the other people? Where's the benefit for the HTML 5 site owners? It's annoying the same company that pushed technology forward is now making too little to keep up with web technologies or don't move away from this path.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will see HTML5 on mobiles and similar devices first and, since there isn't an IE option, anyone who wants people to access their sites from a mobile will have to fall in line.
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: thread resurrection Reply with quote

The main browsers have quite good support now for HTML5. I've started to play with it already...
http://rebol.vlexo.net/Other/html5/html5_audio_test.htm
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info graph about HTML5.
http://www.focus.com/images/view/11905/
LOL@IE
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. very helpful.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems HTML5 isn't the great panacea for all web ills. Apple have managed to produce an HTML5 demo that only works on Safari.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04/apple_html5_showcase_hype/

So there is every chance that HTML5 could drag us back to the bad old days of browser specific web pages Sad
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the demo works in chromium. But the effects shown are mostly hardly any different from what KDE has been doing on the desktop - doing them in a browser may be new but it's not terribly earth-shattering.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
Most of the demo works in chromium. But the effects shown are mostly hardly any different from what KDE has been doing on the desktop - doing them in a browser may be new but it's not terribly earth-shattering.

Couldn't get the apple demos to work with my chromium.... Sad
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using chromium 6.0.245 from the openSUSE repositories which seems to get fairly regular updates.
ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 won't play - just the Apple "error" message indicating that their web designers can't code to open standards.

They use Javascript to detect OS & browser:
Code:
<script src="http://images.apple.com/global/scripts/browserdetect.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which generates the error message for all browsers except Safari. Wink Rolling Eyes

The Javascript is:
Code:
if(typeof(AC)==="undefined"){AC={}}AC.Detector={getAgent:function(){return navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase()
},isMac:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/mac/i)},isSnowLeopard:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/mac os x 10_6/i)},isWin:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/win/i)},isWin2k:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isWin(a)&&(a.match(/nt\s*5/i))
},isWinVista:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isWin(a)&&(a.match(/nt\s*6/i))
},isWebKit:function(b){if(this._isWebKit===undefined){var a=b||this.getAgent();
this._isWebKit=!!a.match(/AppleWebKit/i);this.isWebKit=function(){return this._isWebKit
}}return this._isWebKit},isSafari2:function(c){if(this._isSafari2===undefined){if(!this.isWebKit()){this._isSafari2=false
}else{var b=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();var a=parseInt(parseFloat(b.substring(b.lastIndexOf("safari/")+7)),10);
this._isSafari2=(a>=419)}this.isSafari2=function(){return this._isSafari2}}return this._isSafari2
},isChrome:function(b){if(this._isChrome===undefined){var a=b||this.getAgent();
this._isChrome=!!a.match(/Chrome/i);this.isChrome=function(){return this._isChrome
}}return this._isChrome},isOpera:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/opera/i)
},isIE:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/msie/i)},isIEStrict:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return a.match(/msie/i)&&!this.isOpera(a)},isIE8:function(c){var b=c||this.getAgent();
var a=b.match(/msie\D*([\.\d]*)/i);if(a&&a[1]){version=a[1]}return +version>=8},isFirefox:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/firefox/i)},isiPhone:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isMobile(a)
},iPhoneOSVersion:function(d){var c=d||this.getAgent(),a=this.isMobile(c),e,f,b;
if(a){var e=c.match(/.*CPU ([\w|\s]+) like/i);if(e&&e[1]){f=e[1].split(" ");b=f[2].split("_");
return b}else{return[1]}}else{return null}},isiPad:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!(this.isWebKit(a)&&a.match(/ipad/i))},isMobile:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return this.isWebKit(a)&&(a.match(/Mobile/i)&&!this.isiPad(a))},isiTunesOK:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return this.isMac(a)||this.isWin2k(a)},_isQTInstalled:undefined,isQTInstalled:function(){if(this._isQTInstalled===undefined){var a=false;
if(navigator.plugins&&navigator.plugins.length){for(var b=0;b<navigator.plugins.length;
b++){var c=navigator.plugins[b];if(c.name.indexOf("QuickTime")>-1){a=true}}}else{if(typeof(execScript)!="undefined"){qtObj=false;
execScript('on error resume next: qtObj = IsObject(CreateObject("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck.1"))',"VBScript");
a=qtObj}}this._isQTInstalled=a}return this._isQTInstalled},getQTVersion:function(){var a="0";
if(navigator.plugins&&navigator.plugins.length){for(var c=0;c<navigator.plugins.length;
c++){var d=navigator.plugins[c];var b=d.name.match(/quicktime\D*([\.\d]*)/i);if(b&&b[1]){a=b[1]
}}}else{if(typeof(execScript)!="undefined"){ieQTVersion=null;execScript('on error resume next: ieQTVersion = CreateObject("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck.1").QuickTimeVersion',"VBScript");
if(ieQTVersion){a=ieQTVersion.toString(16);a=[a.charAt(0),a.charAt(1),a.charAt(2)].join(".")
}}}return a},isQTCompatible:function(c,e){function b(g,i){var f=parseInt(g[0],10);
if(isNaN(f)){f=0}var h=parseInt(i[0],10);if(isNaN(h)){h=0}if(f===h){if(g.length>1){return b(g.slice(1),i.slice(1))
}else{return true}}else{if(f<h){return true}else{return false}}}var d=c.split(/\./);
var a=e?e.split(/\./):this.getQTVersion().split(/\./);return b(d,a)},isValidQTAvailable:function(a){return this.isQTInstalled()&&this.isQTCompatible(a)
},isSBVDPAvailable:function(a){return false}};

A good example of how to not play nice Evil or Very Mad
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla man praises Microsoft and bitchslaps Apple and Google over HTML5 standards.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/09/mozilla_man_on_apple_google_and_html5/

What a perverse world we live in today. Lib-Dems in government and Chris Blizzard praising Microsoft's adherence to standards.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thats a funny read.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm using chromium to look at the Developers' site which is accessed via the link on the bottom right hand side of the showcase.

The video demo freezes; the typography displays works perfectly; the web gallery took a while to load but it is now working perfectly; the photo transitions are working perfectly; I can't get any sound from the audio demo; the 360 degree one works; the VR is the only one to put up a message about needed Safari for 3D; the pixel manipulation worked as expected but I couldn't use the export option because of limitations in chromium (or my lack of knowledge about it); the sticky notes also took a while to load but it's no different from KNotes which I have been using for years; concert poster displayed but I couldn't see what else it was supposed to do; checkers opened but I couldn't work out how to get it to play; light table appeared and did its stuff; calender also displayed but I wasn't sure whether there was anything else I was supposed to do with it other than scrolling through months; the movie trailers apparently did what they were supposed to.

So eight of the fourteen demos worked in chromium; two half worked; three froze and I got a warning about one.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kneekoo wrote:
IE9 is on its way but without XP support so A LOT of people will lag behind for at least 2-3 more years and this also assuming IE9 and IE10 would play nice with HTML 5.

Chrome is also not yet mature in many aspects and that only leaves us with Firefox and Opera, which altogether don't sum up at least 50% of total internet users. What happens to the other people? Where's the benefit for the HTML 5 site owners?

XP users are already abandoning IE6/7/8 in droves for more modern browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Expect this to continue unabated.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: