Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slackware disks and MySQL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrynesaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Slackware disks and MySQL Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm sorry about the latness of this post but I have an old (PII) machine that I wanted to put to use and having used slackware with some success previously, I thought that it would be ideal for such an old machine. Indeed it was. However, (you just knew that was coming), every time I attempt to start up MySQL it bombs out, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if I'm doing something dumb!
Thanks in advance Skrynesaver
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: RE: Slackware disks and MySQL Reply with quote

Which version of Slackware is that? You could try compiling MySQL from source, or get a newer Slackware release -- the hardware requirements haven't grown in years.

M
Skrynesaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Slackware version etc.. Reply with quote

Hi M,
thanks for the prompt response, I'm using the version on the coverdiscs a couple of months ago with the mysql server supplied on those discs. It should "just work"&tm; but doesn't seem to want to co-operate for me.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: RE: Slackware version etc.. Reply with quote

You could try PostgreSQL Smile

Anyway, I got work in 6 hours so need sleep zzzzz, its probably a permissions thing, but if you do want to try source here's my basic guide. Doesn't take long, just tweak anything if you feel you'd prefer other directories etc etc

Otherwise we can check out the original errors later on if no-one gets back to you....

>mkdir /usr/local/mysql
>mkdir /usr/local/mysql/tmp
>mkdir /usr/local/mysql/src
>cp mysql-version-.tar.gz /usr/local/mysql/src
>cd /usr/local/mysql/src
>groupadd mysql
>useradd -g mysql mysql
>tar xvzf mysql-version.tar.gz
>cd mysql-VERSION
>CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mcpu=i686" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mcpu=i686" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client --enable-local-infile --enable-assembler --disable-shared --with-client-ldflags=-all-static --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock --with-charset=latin1 --with-collation=latin1_bin

If ./configure fails for whatever reason, run:
>make distclean
Then re-run the ./configure with whatever changed parameters are needed to fix the issue.

>make
>make install
>cp support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf
>cd /usr/local/mysql
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
>chown -R root .
>chown -R mysql var
>chown -R mysql tmp
>chgrp -R mysql .
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe &
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new_password'
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h myhost password 'new-password' -p

Login with:
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p

Add the following to your shell start-up file, such as "users_home/.profile", "~/.bash_profile", "/etc/profile"
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
export PATH

Add the following to /etc/ld.so.conf so the libraries (such as c++ API) are available to other apps.
/usr/lib
/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
Then type ldconfig
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: RE: Slackware version etc.. Reply with quote

What error message do you get? We can't help you if you don't give us a clue as into what to go on.

Erin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: