problems building LXF71 Centos ISO images in Windows

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

problems building LXF71 Centos ISO images in Windows

Postby allanric » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:18 pm

Ran the winmkiso script as per the instructions, and it produced the first ISO image - eventually. It took about an hour! I have used jigdo in the past, and I don't remember it being that slow. I finally stopped the script when it had built the first image, and was then scanning all the help files on the DVD for some reason.

Have I done something wrong? Is there a way to speed it up?

regards

allanric
allanric

RE: problems building LXF71 Centos ISO images in Windows

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:40 pm

jigdo on Linux seems slow, until you try it on Windows :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Hrm, it should avoid scanning the Help files... Still, it'll make the discs, just take a while depending on the speed of your DVD drive and system as a whole.

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:14 pm

It will scan each directory given on the command lines in the winmkiso script, or the whole DVD if there are none.

I was sent the CD issue again this month, so I can't look at the script :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:40 am

Yes, I set it to just scan the CentOS files originally, but evidently it scanned everything in the rebuild. So it'll take longer, but that's all the more reason to read HotPicks while waiting :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby allanric » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, but it is a bit poor to say that you just have to wait. The build time is comparable to the download time, so not much point having it on the disk in the first place.

Why use jigdo at all?
allanric

Re: RE: problems building LXF71 Centos ISO images in Windows

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:02 pm

allanric wrote:Why use jigdo at all?

If you're on dialup, it'll save you an incalculable amount of time downloading -- eg X mins to build the ISOs rather than several days to download them.

I've just checked the winmkiso script here, and it took around 25 mins extra to scan the non-CentOS files (such as all the Help ones as you pointed out). Basically it shouldn't do that -- it should scan just the CentOS files, completing in about half the time.

So apologies for it being a bit slow -- I'll make sure it scans only the directories required in future. Hope you enjoy the discs anyway!

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: problems building LXF71 Centos ISO images in Win

Postby allanric » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Thanks Mike. Question is though (not in grumbling mode now), what actually is the benefit of using jigdo on a cover disk? Why not just stick the assembled ISO image on there and be done with it?
allanric

Postby Nigel » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:40 pm

Think I can answer this one... if they just put the ISOs on the DVD, you wouldn't be able to install direct from the DVD without first burning a bunch of CDs.
I think it's fair to assume that a good proportion of people buying the DVD version have a DVD drive on their machine.
And yes, I know that many people try the distros on the DVD on older machines that only have a CD drive - Jigdo allows LXF to keep them happy(ish) as well.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:43 pm

That pretty well hit the nail on the head, Nigel.

The poor performance is a feature of Windows rather than Jigdo. The Linux mkiso script runs a lot faster. It may be possible for Mike to eke some more speed out of winmkiso. I know nothing about MSDOS batch scripts, so I stuck very closely to the original script that came with Jigdo. Mike, on the other hand, could go and pester someone in PC Plus for help. I don't think there's much to be gained though, Windows seems to be much slower at reading CDs, especially directory scans.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs