Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gnome to pull out of Gnu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandyGandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Gnome to pull out of Gnu? Reply with quote

Hello.
I though the recent fuss over Gnome pulling out of Gnu would make a good topic for the tuxradar site. I could find no better way to contact the tuxradar staff. so I hav eposted here.

On the gnome foundation mailing list, it was recently suggesed that Gnome pull out of Gnu:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2009-December/msg00054.html

The proposal was subsequently seriously debated on the list.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually it appears that the fuss was about the GNOME Planet blogging site, and not GNOME as such. Ho-hum.

Mind you, being forced to drop the G and start peddling the NOME desktop could be fun. If the next release is codenamed Truckers, get worried. Wink
HandyGandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Well actually it appears that the fuss was about the GNOME Planet blogging site, and not GNOME as such. Ho-hum.

You did not read the whole thread. I only mentioned the most salient detail in my first post, wishing to be brief. Initially the thread was one discussing the Code of Conduct for Planet Gnome. As tempers rose, the post by Philip Van Hoof which I link to was sent. To quote relevant parts of it:
Philip Van Hoof wrote:

I propose to have a vote on GNOME's membership to the GNU project.
Let's first get a consensus from our members on GNOME's status as being or not being a well-behaving GNU project, or having its own identity.

Clearly a suggestion that the foundation membership vote on withdrawing from GNU. Reading further posts one sees that there is serious discussion of the topic.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Embarassed Sad

Oh dear, then they'll become HOME, the Homeless Object Model Environment. I suppose that's an oxymoronic acronym.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: