KonXPeror?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KonXPeror?

Postby LoL » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:47 pm

For all it's faults, I still make daily use of XP

And until I can get Cubase and Ableton/Acid to run with the full feature-set and 100% reliably under WINE, that's not gonna change, unfortunately

But, I'd really like to make use of Konqueror under XP

I've found some reasonable instructions on how to install KDE under CygWin and I'm aware that there's a full Win32 port of KDE available, but ...

I don't wanna install KDE [1]

I hate it as much as I hate the Windoze Startmenu/Taskbar

So ... Does anyone know how I could get just Konqueror to run on XP?

I don't mind using CygWin, if that's what it takes ... And, as a linux user, I have no qualms about compiling from source - And will happily find all the dependencies and compile those too

Alternatively, if the only way of getting Konqueror to run on XP would be to install KDE, does anyone know if Konqueror would still work, once I replaced KDE with eD as the desktop shell?

Cheers

---

[1] As an E17 freak, I use emergeDesktop on XP, to give me the consistency of interface-and-access-structure across both platforms that I need ... And that's not gonna change any time soon ... Probably not even if (miraculously) E17 were ever to be ported to Win32 [2] ... (Although I do use E17 on OS/X [3])

[2] I really like eD and the community that uses it and want to support it

[3] I loathe Crapple and all they stand for ... Even more than I dislike M$
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Has anyone tried andLinux?
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 pm

There is a limited range of KDE applications for Windows; the latest release was yesterday; see http://windows.kde.org/news.php#itemKDE434forWindowsavailable

Not sure if Konqueror is included but that is where to go to find out.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks, John

According to http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2008/01/i ... ndows.html (which is the first thing I found) it is, but eats up memory, like it were going out of fashion - Besides which, I really don't want to install the whole of KDE ... just Konqueror

I discovered a post mentioning andLinux, according to which I could run just Konqueror, if I wanted, but I don't know to what extent it would be compatible with my Windows desktop shell of choice

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on stuff and/or bite the bullet and re-install my machines - It's gonna take weeks to do properly ... *sigh*
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 am

KDE for Windows isn't a whole desktop as yet, just a handful of the applications; I don't think they expect to have the whole desktop available until the end of next year. But they do say it is still under development and not for production use.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Other OS