On the Internet...reboot...not on the Internet...any ideas?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

On the Internet...reboot...not on the Internet...any ideas?

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi All,
I've reloaded Mandriva LE 2005 for about the 6th time over the last few days. I do a clean install - go on the internet - do all the downloads (and there are lots) - reboot and the try to access the internet to be told I can't. Strange cos I have had no problems prior to this? I'm on a home network...3 PC's. 2 with XP and this Linux tagged on the end - to practice on.

It's an ethernet set up via a Belkin router. The only thing different I've done, is dual booted onto the 'middle' PC. Si it now does XP and Mandriva. I know Networks can be right old t**t to sort out...but I've not had any problem (with Mandriva/Broadband) prior to this.

I'm getting bogged down trying to sort all the various protoclos and stuff, can anyone give me some pointers please? Are there any basic steps to check - apart from the obvious (connections n stuff).

Thanks in advance.

Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

RE: On the Internet...reboot...not on the Internet...any ide

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:19 pm

It sounds like one of Mandriva's updates is breaking something. Maybe apply the updates selectively and narrow down the offender -- a bit of hassle.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: On the Internet...reboot...not on the Internet...any ide

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Can you access other computers on the LAN? If not, it's a network problem, not an Internet one and it's possible the interface is not being started at boot up, this is set in the network section of MCC.

Can you access the Internet by IP addresses? Try

Code: Select all
ping -c 5 216.239.59.103
ping -c 5 www.google.com

If the former works and the latter does not, your DNS settings are wrong. this should be handled by DHCP, is this enabled in MCC?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:48 pm

Hi M & Nelz,

Mmmmm? I thought it seemed to be something in the downloads. I do them all at once cos I'm a trusting soul. There were 114 y/day I think the number has gone up since.

PC access is fine on the other machines Nelz, I'm reloading at the moment, so I'll ping and stuff after and watch the downloads too.

Thanks for your help chaps, I think I may have number dyslexia (honest) so I get bogged down with DNS, MAC, IP/FTP and the like. But I'll persevere as I'm REALLY liking Linux now. To the point that W*****s is a right ol' pain to reload. But I'm managing to stay away from my security blanket more and more. A truly excellent site.

And, another new member, see Edward's post.

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:52 pm

eastcoastdrifter wrote:PC access is fine on the other machines Nelz

I meant, can you access the other machines from the Mandriva box? In other words, is only the Internet inaccessible to it or can't you even reach the LAN?

The output from

Code: Select all
ifconfig
cat /etc/resolv.conf

may be useful. you'll have to be root to run ifconfig.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:55 pm

Ah, sorry...er, I'm in the middle of redoing all the network. I got it into a right old pickle, before Linux... and haven't sorted it out yet. I can access the Internet from all 3 PC's, but we do have problems accessing each other via the LAN, it was user error...me :-) So when i can be a***d I'll do it all from fresh.

I don't think it's the network that's not allowing this Linux PC back on, I think it's more likely one of the updates. something downloads and keeps disconnecting the main PC from the Internet. But it's fine when I disconnect the Linux one.

Thanks for xplaining the su to Edward, that's what I meant but you're more eloquent.

Regards,
Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:55 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If you have a router, you don't have a "main PC" on the network. All are equal.

I wasn't suggesting that the network was causing the problem, that is most likely down to one of the updates. I was trying to establish where the problem lies. There are three possible scenarios (probably more)

1) you cannot connect to anything; network, router, Internet, nothing.
2) You can access the LAN but not the Internet.
3) You can connect to Internet sites by IP address but not hostname

Your description could fit any of them, but they have totally different causes. That's why I was asking for more information.
nelz
Site admin

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:20 pm

Again, apologies Nelz. Sloppy use of English. The 'main' PC on the internet/network is the one all the family use...except me!...I'm barred from it. I dabble too much and then there can be occasions when no-one can access anything...I'm a walking virus :-)

There are three possible scenarios (probably more)
hahaha, you should be here mate :-)

Yes, everything (well just the internet) is accessible on all three PC's it's the sharing of files facility, etc that is missing somehow. That was me tinkering. I/we have to create a 'window' when all three machines can be out of action and then I try and put everything back together. We're still under negotiation for the next 'window'. May get Bill in to help out...he seems keen on people having windows, hahaha.

It was just this strange disconnection/won't allow the Linux on the internet that threw me.

Sorry if I've caused you uneccesary thinking. All is fine (Internet-wise) now, I just have to be careful with the updates. And that's what I'm off to do now, with the help of your advice re: the update disk from the Mandriva mag.

Regards,
Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Return to Help!