Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandrake update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
firefox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Mandrake update Reply with quote

I have Mandrake 10.1 Community and my Updates no longer work. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if it is connected to the change to Mandriva.

When I click on Updates from the Control Center Mandrake retrieves a list of mirrors. None of these seem to work, it says "Please wait, updating media" but then says "Error retrieving packages" suggesting that either my media is configured incorrectly or that I should try connecting again later.
jake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

Update your installation to Mandrake 10.1 Official then regular updates are available.
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

Upgrade you mean surely Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

That is a matter of opinion
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

oooooh! handbags at dawn Laughing
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that mandrake only supports community releases until the next release appears, but the official versions of the same releases are supported longer....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I like that policy for updates to the community edition, I think I may make a switch to another distro.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

Part of the reason for the Community Edition is to provide extra testing before the Official release. So there's no point in having people still run the outdated version. CE is for people who want the latest and aren't prepared to wait, so why would anyone want to run an old CE?

Either switch to 10.1 Official, which has been available for a long time now, or 10.2.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

Ahh, sorry, I was under the impression CE was the free edition and that Official was the paid-for edition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandrake update Reply with quote

If you insist, I am sure Mandra ... (whatever) will take your cash, however, if you are a member of the Man... (!@##) you can essentially update into what was to have been 10.2 Community version. It is unclear to me how this will be supported, since the "Offical" version is versioned by year and its appearance is only yearly.

I am uncertain the degree of access one has not being a member, because I am both a member and on their mailing list. I assume, however, one's access is just delayed not forbidden.

I had a hard time logging on to their site today, because I forgot they had us change our user names to an alias. I had hoped that what was that happened here when I could not log on.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: