Cover Disc contents (n yes this does belong here .. i think)

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Cover Disc contents (n yes this does belong here .. i think)

Postby numskull » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:48 am

Sup,

I am part of a LUG group (a bit of promo: www.plug.org.nz). I became the librarian (however that happened) for this little LUG group on the other side of the world. ( .... love ya mag).
Anyway I brought your LXF 66 May 2005 Mag wich I really enjoyed (Go Gnome... Grrr).
An now that I have finished reading the mag (from back to front an back again) i am donating it and the cover disc to our library an wanna post the DVD Contents on our site or a link or something like that... so i made my way to this site and to my dismay found no listings for the DVD or CD Contents or discriptions of the mags.
And as I thought that this would be a very helpful thing for you to have on your site. Not only for me but I'm sure someone else would find it useful (starts looking frantically.... pauses .... oh sorry were was I... ) and so I created a user an found my way to your forums, I considered e-mailing one of your guys in the "Contact Us" area but I thought that this might be a better option as I could also get backed up by others on the site that agree with me.
Oh an of course this will also help you cause that means I can post a link to your site on our site so it will get you more references wich will result in more readers for you. An who knows you might become favorite linux mag for the whole world.... just because you helped out a poor little New Zealander on the other side of the world.... who knows.
numskull

RE: Cover Disc contents (n yes this does belong here .. i th

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:51 am

There are detailed listings of the disc contents on the discs, in Essentials/CSV. These are CSV files that could import into a database and display with PHP on your web site, or you could use sed/perl/whatever to massage them into static HTML.

I'd recommend you email the magazine to let them know what you are doing, just to confirm it is OK with them. It may get you a mention on the LUG page too.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby numskull » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 am

okay thanks for the tip
numskull

Postby ZebCarnell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:14 am

Palmy user ah? Theres no LUG's down here in Blenheim and I'm moving to Auckland at the end of the month so I don't see any point in making one untill I come back maybe in the future. Nice looking site.
"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people." -- Linus Torvalds
ZebCarnell

Postby numskull » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:32 pm

Thanks the site isn't mine it was made by the guy on there called brynn. He does web hosting an that sorta thing I just look after the Library Section.
numskull

Return to This Website