Linux dual boot system not working

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux dual boot system not working

Postby eddie2000 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi

I have just loaded Mandriva Linux from the "Get started with Mandriva Linux" magazine. I had to partition my disc which I did in the installer. When I first booted up a dos like screen appeared with several options of what OS to load. I decided to load windows just because I was worried what the installation might of done. When windows loaded it reported it had to repair itself. After this was done windows worked fine (I have windows xp home edition). However now when I boot up I don't get any dual boot screen, windows just boots up everytime. Howver the partition is there because my harddisc was a 80Gb disc and halved it and I can see that when I look at drive C:\ in windows. So Linux is there somewhere. How can I get this dual boot screen again?

Edward :(
eddie2000

RE: Linux dual boot system not working

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi,

You need to boot from your mandriva cd and press F1 instead of install, once it has booted type rescue, once this is done choose the option restore boot-loader from the menu, this will install the lilo (the screen you saw before) reboot and you will see the new screen :D

How this helps
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Return to Help!