Mandriva BB, can you help?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva BB, can you help?

Postby johnz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:00 pm

hi, A few days ago installed Mandriva from iso CD's that i burned
and cant belive something so amazing is free.

The isp im with is Tiscali and ran it on windows for a couple of years but now the installation cd cant be read with Linux. Tiscali said that broadbanband is compatable with Linux but they offer no technical support.

when the cd is run with windows it automatically takes you through the installation process but with Linux it just shows the files that the cd holds.

its a sagem ADSL modem that connects to the USB that needs a driver installed im guessing.
the list below is all the folders and subfiles that are on the Tiscali install CD,

ASSETS
+Firewall
+Setfirewall
+Help
+Loads of htm files that dont help
PLUGINS
+AclbeRdr60_enu_full.exe
+F_x86t32.exe
+hm6ev.exe
+psp8000sev.exe
+winzipfi.exe
SAGEM
+adinst16.dll
+adinst32.dll
+adius6.ico
+data.cab
+data1.cab
+data2.cab
+dslgui.ini
+DSLTEST.exe
+iKernel.ex_
+layout.bin
+Setup.exe
+Setup.inx
+Setup.iss
312339USA8.exe
INTRO.dxr
MakeDvn.exe
Tiscali-Main.dxr
Tiscali04.ico
Tiscalihelp.ico

when i downloaded the driver for sagem was just the sagem folder above that was downloaded
you should know that i can only use the command line a little (learning). and not installed anything yet.
having to write this message through the local libary computers and may not be able to read any replys untill tommorow

help or imput is appreciated

John Wilson
johnz

RE: Mandriva BB, can you help?

Postby bigjohn » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:13 am

Well I don't know anything about the device, but that disc listing is for a windows install.

If the device is a modem/router you can usually find the IP address of the device in the manual. then you can usually log into it and set it up from there.

Problem is, that often USB modems can be a bit of a pain to configure - you only have to look into the Alcatel Speedtouch USB range to learn that one.

I'm thinking that you have 2 choices. Either go to http://www.google.com/linux and google for the modem model to see what is there or check out the http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and dig round their site for the hardware section (it's there somewhere).

Because the easiest way of doing this is to use an ethernet modem/router (you can get them for as little as £40). That way, the modem/router device handles the connection - you'd usually set it up with a browser interface (login name and password etc), then that plugs in to an ethernet/LAN port on the PC. Then it's really quite basic to set up.

Thats exactly what I did about 3 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I certainly wouldn't even entertain a USB device (which is slower than an ethernet one).

That solution works well with windows as well, as I set up a mate of mines new pc about 2 months ago with one of the wired BT voyager series modem/router devices (which actually can do ethernet or usb but as his pc has an ethernet port.......).

Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

p.s. Oh and you might have more joy if you post the make/model no of the modem device. Or, re-install windows. Then locate one of the free partitioning utilities, make some free space and then re-install the mandrake/mandriva into the free space. That way, you aren't at the mercy of the library opening hours etc, you can just reboot into windows to look for help - which is also what I did when I started with linux - the only downside is that you would have to note down any error messages longhand, so that you can post them later.

And I got my device from http://www.solwise.co.uk/ it's been very reliable and any problems I had, I just rang their technical department. VVV helpful. You can even ring their sales and they'll help direct you towards a suitable device if you want.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby johnz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:00 pm

hi bigjohn

you are right, them files are for a windows install, but they is a way to get it up and running.
i searched around and found many people having the same difficulty but below is a some more info on how to make it work. it is sagem fast 800 modem
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archiv ... 2/3/202072

im not sure what the kernel source is or the gcc-cpp packages but will try and find out
johnz

Postby bigjohn » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:30 am

johnz wrote:hi bigjohn

you are right, them files are for a windows install, but they is a way to get it up and running.
i searched around and found many people having the same difficulty but below is a some more info on how to make it work. it is sagem fast 800 modem
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archiv ... 2/3/202072

im not sure what the kernel source is or the gcc-cpp packages but will try and find out

Well you said in the first post that you're running mandriva. mandrake/mandriva (same thing if you haven't sussed it) don't install the kernel sources by default.

So, in a terminal/konsole do the command
Code: Select all
uname -r
which should tell you something like
@localhost ~ $ uname -r
2.6.12-gentoo-r9
@localhost ~ $
Obviously, you should see something with mdk in it, not gentoo (that's what I'm using these days).

If you then open the mandrake/mandriva control centre (configure my computer) and go to the Software Manager>RPMDrake + (the icon that is for adding software) and click that, let it do it's thing i.e. if it asks you about checking installed software or any stuff like that, then obviously tell it yes.

Once the list is completed etc, run down it and you should see something like "kernel-sources-2.6.8-7-mdk" or something similar, but the numbers should be the same as the ones that you got from the "uname -r" command. check it, install it (it may ask for a disc).

Now I don't know what the gcc-cpp package is - but if it's not listed exactly as that, possibly with a version number, then hell I'd just install all the gcc stuff (gcc is the "c" compiler). Then have a go at those instructions that you got from the LQ link.

Follow them as closely as possible - the bit where it says about create a build directory, just do that in your /home. Oh and don't forget, you have to get the driver version mentioned (or one of them either the main one mentioned or the one that someone else posted a link too) from somewhere. Which means burning too disc from windows, or if you're dual booting you should be able to open (presuming KDE) konqueror and surf to your windows partition and get it from there - you just open konqueror a second time, and you should be able to drag it from one window to another, and take it from there.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and I don't mean to sound "I told you so", but that's why I made my suggestion about getting a modem/router and ethernet card (if necessary), because all this kind of config stuff for USB modems was becoming a "drag"! (as was the delay when booting between Linux and windows) and the modem/router option makes life infinitely easier.

Anyway, also theres the mention (from the LQ link) that the device is supported by mandrake (the name before "they" changed it). That being so, if you could obtain a "paid for" copy (I always used to get mine from them direct), you should find that it will auto detect, you just put any necessary account info into a few boxes and it'll work. Thats what I used to do when I had an alcatel speedtouch USB modem (plus some other "commercial" stuff is also preconfigured like the nvidia driver, realplayer, acrobat reader, etc etc - again, I didn't mind paying, it made my initial linux experience a lot easier and enjoyable - i.e. hassle free).

Sorry I can't be of any more help - but I don't know that modem at all, I'm guessing from my somewhat ancient "speedtouch experience", but I'll keep an eye on the thread as I might be able to explain other stages if you get stuck!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Return to Help!