Newbie on Linux need help with wireless card

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Newbie on Linux need help with wireless card

Postby neildexter » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi,

Just installed Linux for the first time. Everything has gone ok so far apart from my wireless card. I cant seem to get it up and running. The wireless card I use is a Safecom 11mbs 802.11b Cardbus PCI card. I have checked their website and they do not have any linux drivers. I have also tried using the NdisWrapper and Windows driver with no success it just wont work at all. Any Ideas??

Thanks
neildexter

RE: Newbie on Linux need help with wireless card

Postby towy71 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have to get a card that works with linux, no listen, I am in the same boat I have a wireless card that will not work with linux even ndiswrapper, so the only answer is to get a card that works which I will do when I have a little bit of money to spare.

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby neildexter » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:08 pm

Any recommendations as to which make of wireless card will work with Linux?

Cheers
neildexter

Postby towy71 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:56 am

still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Newbie on Linux need help with wireless card

Postby overflow » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:58 am

towy71 wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have to get a card that works with linux, ...

I've had good success with ndiswrapper and my Dell's built-in wireless adapter. I'd much prefer to use the built-in wireless with its effective, lid mounted aerial than a pc-card stuck out the side just asking to get broken off.

It wasn't getting ndiswrapper to work that tookt he time it was finding the right sequence of commands to get everything started properly.

If you can't get ndiswrapper to work there is a commercial product that does the same thing and is supported with a helpdesk and people who know. It costs less than £10 so it may be worth considering. I can't remember the name of it just now but a quick Google should turn it up.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Return to Help!