nelz, I did what you told me

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

nelz, I did what you told me

Postby Marrea » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi nelz

I did as you advised in http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=987
Don't mess around downloading, possibly incompatible, RPMs from hither and thither, just add PLF to your rpmdrake sources and let it all happen automatically with RPMs made for Mandriva.

and added Main, Updates and PLF-Free. Would you recommend adding any of the others?

However, I was surprised that the latest Firefox on offer (from the Updates) is only 1.0.2, when 1.0.6 is available direct from the mozilla-firefox site itself. I did actually try the 1.0.6 version but when I discovered it was impossible to get RealPlayer to play BBC news video clips, I gave up and returned to 1.0.2. Real Player works fine with this earlier Mandrake specific version.

Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: nelz, I did what you told me

Postby alloydog » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:04 am

I have found with the latest Firefox (1.0.6), that Real Player does not seem to want to player as a plug in either. My way around this was to download Real Player 10.5 for Linux, and play clips through that instead.
alloydog
LXF regular

RE: nelz, I did what you told me

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:47 am

I seem to remember that there was something about firefox version numbers on the Mandriva club site. The point was that they applied patches to the older version of Firefox, thus keeping the older version number rather than going for a complete package update. It is rather confusing, especially as noone else seems to do it this way (SuSE is currently using 1.0.6) :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: nelz, I did what you told me

Postby nordle » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:11 pm

alloydog wrote:I have found with the latest Firefox (1.0.6), that Real Player does not seem to want to player as a plug in either. My way around this was to download Real Player 10.5 for Linux, and play clips through that instead.

I clicked on the link, but it came up with some funny .exe thing which I've not seen on Linux before :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:09 pm

nordle wrote:I clicked on the link, but it came up with some funny .exe thing which I've not seen on Linux before :)

Yes, it takes you to RealPlayer10.5GOLD.exe, which I assumed was for Windows. The RealPlayer I currently have installed is 10.0.5.765(gold) and was a binary file. There is also a rpm version, both available at http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&src=freeplayer_partner&opage=freeplayer_partner

I have to confess I waste more time messing around with RealPlayer, trying to get it to work, than with any other single application. Each distro, each web browser, each operating system seems to require its own particular settings before it will run properly (I'm talking purely about viewing BBC news videos, here by the way). Every time I install it I either get nothing at all, or video but no sound, or sound but no video and I spend ages trying all the various configurations ! Even in Mac OSX I had to do something weird like go into the Network Transports and uncheck everything except HTTP before it would work.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:14 pm

Rhakios wrote:I seem to remember that there was something about firefox version numbers on the Mandriva club site. The point was that they applied patches to the older version of Firefox, thus keeping the older version number rather than going for a complete package update. It is rather confusing, especially as noone else seems to do it this way (SuSE is currently using 1.0.6) :roll:

Rhakios
I've only been using Mandriva for a short while, and am slowly finding my way around. My experience so far has been largely with SuSE and, to a lesser extent, Fedora. I must say, Mandriva does seem to have its own little peculiarities - but then I suppose you could say the same for all distros !
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:17 pm

Can I add my 2p worth here:

For streaming radio (on W*****s) I use Streambox VCR. However, I asked at AfterDawn if there was a Linux version. Apparently not. But I was given a list as well as an anser that it probably has to be installed (or whatever) using source code.

I'm VERY new and still getting my head round Mandriva as an OS, never mind messing with source code. But here's the link to a number of programs that do stream radio on Linux. I see that Streambox VCR is on the list, so maybe some of the others are Windows only. Worth a look at the list though.

Something may work better than RealPlayer. (or more understandable than it).

Regards, all

Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:21 pm

Oooops, sorry...forgot to add the link :oops:

Click here: http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrf ... ID=1.topic

Pete, :oops:
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:49 pm

Marrea wrote:
nordle wrote:I clicked on the link, but it came up with some funny .exe thing which I've not seen on Linux before :)

Yes, it takes you to RealPlayer10.5GOLD.exe, which I assumed was for Windows. The RealPlayer I currently have installed is 10.0.5.765(gold) and was a binary file. There is also a rpm version, both available at http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&src=freeplayer_partner&opage=freeplayer_partner

I have to confess I waste more time messing around with RealPlayer, trying to get it to work, than with any other single application. Each distro, each web browser, each operating system seems to require its own particular settings before it will run properly (I'm talking purely about viewing BBC news videos, here by the way). Every time I install it I either get nothing at all, or video but no sound, or sound but no video and I spend ages trying all the various configurations ! Even in Mac OSX I had to do something weird like go into the Network Transports and uncheck everything except HTTP before it would work.

Without sounding as though Im taking the pish too much, I've never had a problem with this and slackware, I just installed the latest version from your link and 30 seconds later listening to last weeks BBC 1xtra Next Chapter With DJ Flight via Firefox 1.0.6

It will be interesting to see if the BBC moves everything over to theora, or some other OSS, hope so as the sound quality of low bit rate oggs is probably better than real's.
nordle
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: nelz, I did what you told me

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:58 am

Similar to nordle here, having been a relatively recent user of Mandriva 2005LE followed by SuSE 9.3 Pro and now Gentoo.

Gentoo packages seem/tend (apparently) more up to date. As for installing firefox, hell I just
Code: Select all
emerge firefox
. The same for realplayer.

The good thing about gentoo, seems to be that it's one line install (like debian - not too sure about Slack, I never had any success with it), the portage package manager will check/solve ALL dependency problems that may arise (like debian, but I understand that theres a bit more too in with Slack), plus the gentoo developers don't seem to have any qualms about making versions of non-FOSS apps (e.g. realplayer, nvidia driver and others) available through the repositories (again, don't know about slack, but debian don't usually do that).

Sure, with some packages, theres a "fetch restriction" on them, usually when it's something that you have to "accept" the t's&c's - but that seems reasonably straight forward.

Plus, in the 3 or so years that I've been meddling with Linux, IMO gentoo documentation is amongst the best out there.

Sure I don't know enough to do the "stage 1" install, but with the 2 discs, the install handbook available to view via my laptop (just too lazy to read the bit of the install docs to get them from the CD using the Links text browser), and following the install instructions religiously, I had gentoo up and running in about an hour (the "stage 3 + GRP packages).

The only downside is that when you do "emerge" something, it downloads the source and then compiles it on your system - if it's a big package (like the whole of KDE or something like that) it can take some time to compile (15 hours was my max, and yes that was KDE).

So it depends on what you want to do, how much "effort" you put in, and in some cases, how much you pay - "bought/paid for" copies of mandriva usually have some of those "commercial" apps pre-compiled, configured and ready to go - my early days with mandrake (pre-mandriva) taught me that. I always used to get the disc(s) direct from them. It made me lazy, but it also made my early linux experience very smooth, vvv enjoyable.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:03 am

nordle wrote:
alloydog wrote:I have found with the latest Firefox (1.0.6), that Real Player does not seem to want to player as a plug in either. My way around this was to download Real Player 10.5 for Linux, and play clips through that instead.

I clicked on the link, but it came up with some funny .exe thing which I've not seen on Linux before :)

Hmm, yes, I just tried it and it does... You need to then click on the REALPLAYER link at the top, next to HOME and GUIDE. That then takes you to the Realplayer for Linux page.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:57 pm

nordle wrote:Without sounding as though Im taking the pish too much, I've never had a problem with this and slackware, I just installed the latest version from your link and 30 seconds later listening to last weeks BBC 1xtra Next Chapter With DJ Flight via Firefox 1.0.6h.

You know, it's really strange. I installed FC4 yesterday and downloaded RealPlayer and guess what? Video but no sound !! Here we go again, I thought. Today I suddenly decided to log out of Gnome and try KDE. I went to the BBC news site, clicked on a news video and, much to my surprise, RealPlayer had both vision and sound. So I switched back to Gnome again and, lo and behold, there was sound (and vision). Weird. I shall see what happens using both the desktops tomorrow.
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: nelz, I did what you told me

Postby davecs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Both PCLinuxOS and MEPIS have Realplayer integrated into Firefox "out of the box".
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Help!