Monitor display problems whem installing Red Hat 9.0

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Monitor display problems whem installing Red Hat 9.0

Postby lbmfula » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 am

Hi, Iam trying to install Redhat 9.0 on a system which already has windows XP/Pro i intend to have two operating systems xp/pro and Redhat 9.0. i'am a newbie. I managed to install Redhat on my other pc but it's older and had to format the drive so the kids could use the PC. When i inserted the Linux disk and all the procedures up to the monitor type. It does not recognise the monitor,it then goes on until the screen displays out of range. I tried using a different type of screen, linux picked it up but the screen also went blank. The graphics card iam using is onboard and is an S3 Pro savage graphics card. Anyhelp from anyone would be grately appreciated on ho best to solve this. P/S do you think i should use redhat 9.0 as a newbie or i should try anothe linux?
lbmfula

RE: Monitor display problems whem installing Red Hat 9.0

Postby ollie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:09 am

I have had problems with S3 graphics and Red Hat 7.0 - 9.0, the S3 weren't well supported under earlier versions of Linux and the S3 Pro Savage is not on the Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List. I would look at testing your hardware using Knoppix and noting down how Knoppix has identified your hardware.

Red Hat 9.0 is a few years old now and there have been huge advancments made in the last 18 months with many versions of Linux. IMHO Suse Linux 9.3 Pro is the best distribution at the moment (flame proof undies now being worn :lol: ). I suggest you do the installs with different distributions that are featured on LXF (shameless plug :wink: ) and get a feel for the distribution you like.
ollie

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:13 pm

My home laptop has the S3 Pro Savage chipset. Support for it was broken in both SuSE 8.2 and Fedora Core 1, so I had to use the FrameBuffer (very basic) graphics instead.
However, SuSE 9.2 not only detected it fine, but works without a problem.

I think if you try a fairly recent distro you should be OK (and I'll second the vote for SuSE, I've tried many distros but SuSE is the one I keep coming back to).
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby lbmfula » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Thanks a lot gentlemen, i sure will try these suggestions. The only thing is that when you say knoppix what is that and where is the best place to download SuSE 9.2
lbmfula

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:39 pm

Knoppix is a "live" CD, which means that the operating system (and loads of applications) is on a bootable CD. So you put the CD in your machine and reboot - in most cases a couple of minutes later it's running Linux. Without touching the contents of your hard drive, so no need to worry about repartitioning etc.
The downside is, of course, that running from a CD is slower than running from a modern hard drive. And being read-only, you lose any configuration changes you make when you reboot (there are ways around this, though).

Knoppix is a fantastic way to
1. Try Linux without committing yourself
2. Figure out what hardware you have (it has the best hardware detection of any version of Linux)
3. Rescue stuff from a dying, corrupted or otherwise unbootable hard drive - I've rescued sooo many Windows user's data that way... :)

You can get Knoppix from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

As to downloading SuSE... I believe the latest version (9.3) is available from here
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpro ... downloads/
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Monitor display problems whem installing Red Hat 9.0

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:40 pm

lbmfula wrote:knoppix what is that and where is the best place to download SuSE 9.2

HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Re: RE: Monitor display problems whem installing Red Hat

Postby lbmfula » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi ALL,

Iam back again, Is There a way for me recovering my access to my root access. Okay this is what happened. I have forgotten my password and can only access or log into redhat 9 using my normal user account. i loaded the server feature on my pc. Every time time i try and do sysstem settings changes eg bootloader, system settings it asks me for a secrity root password of which i have forgotten. Other wise i just will have to reinstall from scratch which is a bumer
lbmfula

Postby ray_burger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:16 am

I am no expert and have not installed Redhat 9.0, but I do use RedHat Enterprise WS on a Thinkpad with Windows XP Pro. On the install for WS you can enter some options. One is "linux nfb" which bypasses the monitor verification and it works. The other is to set you display as in 1600 x 1200. This also works.

Ray
ray_burger

Postby ollie » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:16 am

I haven't used Red Hat 9 for years but you can usually boot from the CD and choose to repair the existing installation, I think this allows you to overwrite the existing root password. This is the one password you need to write down in a secure location :wink: . There are other options available that involve brute force password cracks using programs like John the Ripper from live CDs like PHLAK and WHAX.
ollie

Return to Help!