Installing RedHat WS 4.0

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Installing RedHat WS 4.0

Postby ray_burger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:04 am

I am new to Linux. I use RedHat Enterprise WS, currently version 4.0. I use Partition Magic a Windows program to manage all of my partitions. It has a feature that I would like to be able to use. It can browse all partitions. I create the Linux partitions as Ext 3. The Partition Magic documentation warns against the use of Disk Druid on the Linux side.

The GUI install for RedHat has two options for partitions. One is to install in unused space. The second is to use Disk Druid. I select the partitions in Disk Druid edit and set the label to /var and / and /boot to create a mount point. The labels on the partitions of /var, /boot and etc. are put there by Partition Magic.

This is enough to make the partitions unreadable and unusable with Partition Magic. Is there an install option to use existing partitions for the install without having to go into Disk Druid?

Thanks
Ray
ray_burger

Re: Installing RedHat WS 4.0

Postby ollie » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:05 am

When you
ray_burger wrote:select the partitions in Disk Druid edit and set the label to /var and / and /boot to create a mount point. The labels on the partitions of /var, /boot and etc. are put there by Partition Magic.
do you also choose to format the partitions as ext3 as part of the install?

Do you set these as "mount points" as well?

If you are just renaming them, the installation won't go ahead. I usually recommend just using Partition Magic to free up the space that will be required for your Linux install. This is a question that I answer over and over with Linux so I have created a quick reference in PDF format Linux_Partitioning

I hope this helps with a basic understanding of Linux partitioning requirements.
ollie

Return to Help!