Karoshi 6 Released!

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:12 am

That page is only accessible by admins etc, the other sections are there for if you need the urls for linking on your desktops, thats why you can see the server information the end user would not, I think we are going to now, just make the desktop link go straight to the administrator page when on the server itself, we will also remove the auto-start of the installation process.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Grub: Strangly named items. May want to rethink these for your 'non-techie' users. Something like default, recovery, etc. Is is also possible to add a 'will boot default in x seconds'? It just sits there then magically boots.

I like the changing wallpaper! From pre-installation to xen!

Web interface: Second boot, some dns entries must have died, because firefox says 'Failed to Connect (xen:50001)
changing xen to local host works. Is is possible to add the security exeption during install?
'All' link. All i can seem to do is change my password or go home. May be rename this change password?
'Network Manager' - why do i want to go straight to change a user password? May be show the server stats there, then i can use the links at the top to do what i want.
How do i find the server ip or change the ip, netmask ,etc etc?

Add new user, username style - ????? Year of entry first, Surname First, Full Name, Full surname first. What on earth do these mean???? I see that you have the little i icon, but you may want to rethink what they are called, and what words you have capitals letters on and which you done.

Modify Users
May be i don't want to ban a whole group! (who would????) And what is my root samba password??? How do i go about editing say the name of a user?

Show User Information
What if i don't know the username. What if i want to find out the username to tell the user?? Wildcards??
May be a cascading form or something, so i could select something i know (group, surname, firstname, etc) then narrows it down until i click on the user.

General thing, all the drop down menu items seem to be in a slightly random order, as if you (not you personally (unless it was you!)) wrote the items as you remembered them!

I do like how you can do pretty much anything from the web interface though!

Good work!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh yer, I see you have simple dns control. What about DHCP?? And do you really want to predict the ip address of other servers?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks, we have changed the previous items.

Grub: Strangly named items. May want to rethink these for your 'non-techie' users. Something like default, recovery, etc. Is is also possible to add a 'will boot default in x seconds'? It just sits there then magically boots.

This is down automatically, but I will research if this is possible to change.

Web interface: Second boot, some dns entries must have died, because firefox says 'Failed to Connect (xen:50001)

This is a bug and has now been fixed.

changing xen to local host works. Is is possible to add the security exeption during install?

Unfortunately no, it is a unique certificate for each installation. Other wise every installation would have the same cert and it wouldn't be very secure. Good question though and we will look into seeing if we can somehow add in the cert after installation.

'All' link. All i can seem to do is change my password or go home. May be rename this change password?

This is going to do more than just change password at some point.

'Network Manager' - why do i want to go straight to change a user password? May be show the server stats there, then i can use the links at the top to do what i want.

It goes to change password because that is the most common thing hat happens on a day to day basis.

How do i find the server ip or change the ip, netmask ,etc etc?

It asks you when you set it up what you want. we didn't think that people would need to change it once the installation has taken place.

Add new user, username style - ????? Year of entry first, Surname First, Full Name, Full surname first. What on earth do these mean???? I see that you have the little i icon, but you may want to rethink what they are called, and what words you have capitals letters on and which you done.

Can you think of a better way of putting this? The icon shows examples, also all usernames are put into lower case so no worries about capital letters.

Modify Users
May be i don't want to ban a whole group! (who would????) And what is my root samba password??? How do i go about editing say the name of a user?

This has now going to be named modify groups and placed under a new section. The samba root password is the one you set within the installation, how can we make this more clearer? To edit the username you click on 'change username' section.

General thing, all the drop down menu items seem to be in a slightly random order, as if you (not you personally (unless it was you!)) wrote the items as you remembered them!

Basically yes :oops:

Oh yer, I see you have simple dns control. What about DHCP?? And do you really want to predict the ip address of other servers?

Ok some kind of DHCP controls, will look into that. The prediction is if you have a standard set of IPs just makes it easier, but you can change them when you are installing.

Now we have got to go do more work!

:D

Thanks,

Jo

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby apricots_and_peaches » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 am

hi linuxgirlie.

First-time Karoshi user, this 6.0 version looks great. I was able to set up karoshi on default settings so a windows client could connect.

One issue I've had is that I can't seem to get internet working on the server (or clients). I'm not sure how to do this, as I don't think I have NAT.

I tried using this link (http://linuxgfx.co.uk/moodle/mod/resour ... .php?id=25) but it doesn't seem to apply to this new version of Karoshi?
apricots_and_peaches

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi, Thank you for such a nice response.

It seems we removed the option from within the web management when we put in the access to change the IP's in the installation. I think we might put it back in case people need to change the IPs after the testing.

The only way at the moment to change them, (without editing files) would be a reinstallation and chosing the IPs you want when you first install the system.

Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Jo

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Maybe you could put a funky diagram on the installation page when choosing the ip, showing how the ip that you (not installie) have already chosen and that this is the default and something about the dns already set up for this. Or may be have page asking if the installie wants the easy/basic/standard installation, if they do then do all the magic with ips and dns, and an 'advanced user' option where they can choose their own ip and dns, etc
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Long time user of Karoshi

Postby luke.rimmer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm

I used Karoshi up until about 6 months ago when I left the school that I worked for. When I joined my new school I found that their Server and network were seriously underused and yet unreliable. This was, in part, thanks to the inability of their former Network Manager and as head of the ICT Curriculum, I took the post of Temp. Network Manager pending a review of services in September. I initially found the job frustrating with the equipment and resources that I had to work with. I took the opportunity of the Summer Holidays to completely re-work the Network, beginning with the Server OS. The previous was Windows Server 2003 and although the OS is competent enough there were conflict between the client pc's and the server, as well as my inexperience with the system. So as part of my re-work I downloaded the latest version of Karoshi and proceeded to install it. I found the system veeery easy to use, although I had not yet configured the new internet connection to the school, and as such could not implement the internet into the network. I spent some time creating users, creating profiles, configuring the Subjects and Staffshare drives etc. and generally set up the server the way I wanted and needed it. I also found that the Windows XP cleints that we have in the school (25+) could all 'talk to' the Server and everything was working fine.

Then, however, I rebooted the Server to see how it would deal with this scenario. To my horror, I found that I could no longer access the 'Karoshi Management' from the desktop of 'Xen' nor could I log on to the network with any user from the client pc's (getting the standard 'roaming profile' error).

I noticed that someone else had had this problem and had detailed it in this thread, only to be told that it was a bug and had been fixed - have I done something wrong or does the bug still exist in the downloadable copies of Karoshi V6? (I only downloaded this copy yesterday - Sunday 2nd August 2009).

I would like to continue to use Karoshi as I have found it very easy to use in the past (and with this new version) and as I spend a long time configuring it the way I wanted it, I don't want it to have all been for nothing. Is there an easy way of fixing this problem? (Please, say yes!!!)
luke.rimmer

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey, really sorry about this!

Could you give us a few more bits of information? Was the server ip's/name changed?or is it still using default?

Again really sorry, if there is a problem we will get it sorted tomorrow!

Thanks,

Jo

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 am

Hey,

We found the problem!

There was a slight problem because we use our own script to start services, so that it doesn't parallel boot services. You will need to copy an replacement file, which you can get from here:

http://linuxgfx.co.uk/karoshi/patches/6 ... i_services

This needs to be copied to:

/opt/karoshi/serversetup/scripts

and needs to be made executable.

Reboot the server and everything should work as per normal!

We will upload a new version of Karoshi tomorrow with this fix in.

Thanks,

Jo

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

getting edubuntu to log-on to karoshi server

Postby clarkville » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 am

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this. I am an 8th grade teacher and I've brought in 5 or 6 of my own computers into the classroom for students to use. I want them all to be able to log-on to any computer and for them to be able to access files, etc and use the same username and password.

I've tried using edubuntu's thin client setup since LDAP is way too time consuming for me to setup to allow workstations to log-on. I could figure it out, but I just don't have the time. School has already started and I just want to let the students use the computers.

So my question is how easy is it to get an Edubuntu workstation to log-on to the karoshi server? Do I need to setup LDAP and do a bunch of configuration settings. At the karoshi website, much of the documentation hasn't been finished yet, and I couldn't find how to do this anywhere. I just want to be able to install a edubuntu workstation and have it log-on to the server so students can access their files and it doesn't matter which computer they log-on with. Thanks so much for your help -- I appreciate it very much and I'm sure my 8th grade students will too.

Tim
clarkville

Can't Install Karoshi

Postby kancilmerah » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:21 am

linuxgirlie,

I was introduced to karoshi during a course in august. during the course, I manage to install the karoshi successfully. and I like it very much.

The problem begins when I tried to install it to my school server. I can't install at all. when the bios boot from the CD, a message appeared as me to key in the localhost login and password. I kept trying many times but the thing keeps asking me the samething.

It really helpful if you can guide me to install karoshi to my school server. thank you.
kancilmerah

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 pm

clarkville,

Unfortunetly we haven't had much luck with joining an edubuntu machine to karoshi servers. We do have our own version of a Linux client that I can upload if you wish to use it.

kancilmerah,

Hi, I will reply to the email you sent me.

Thanks

Jo

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:20 pm

linuxgurlie,

You might want to have a word with LWN, they think Karoshi is no more:

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story238151.html

http://lwn.net/Distributions/#historical

512: Karoshi
http://karoshi.linuxgfx.co.uk/
Karoshi is a server operating system designed for schools. Karoshi provides a simple graphical interface that allows easy installation, setup and maintenance of your network. Karoshi is based on PCLinuxOS. Version 5.1.3 was released June 11, 2007. Karoshi Beta 6.0 was the current version July 14, 2008. 6.0 beta was still the current version when this entry moved to the historical section, April 13, 2009.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 pm

argh, noone ask us :shock:

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements