Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand New Web OS - Xenon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

I'm starting to create a brand new Web-Based (Cloud) OS, called Xenon, which attempts to redefine the desktop.

First of all it will run on the Internet, enabling people to use it wherever they are, and to use their files.

It should run on basic Web technologies, enabling anyone to use it regardless of what browser plugins or OS they have already.

It will include all the apps you would expect a fully-fledged OS to have, and it is designed to be a unity between apps like Google Docs and Meebo, having document editing, instant messaging, browsing, playing music, etc all in one interface.

There will be an optional Linux base for use with Live CDs and netbooks, etc. including only the Gecko/XULRunner engine to display it.

Work has started on the OS, and everyone is welcome to contribute in any way they can.

You can find the progress and the discussion messageboard at:

http://sechoes.homelinux.com/

Thanks!

Dan
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

The new website is (temporarily) at http://32.97.40.65

If you would like to join the team, drop me a line:
dandart@googlemail.com
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

You can now find Xenon at http://xenon.tuxfamily.org
Cheers!
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Um ... interesting idea but why put the web page into a frame too small for the content, resulting in both vertical and horizontal scroll bars in the middle of the screen? None of your menu links across the top work.

Good luck with your attempt.
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

That main page is in progress, only the links work.
Sorry, too small for the content? I've never seen that happen. I'll have to rectify it.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
but why put the web page into a frame too small for the content, resulting in both vertical and horizontal scroll bars in the middle of the screen?

See the same thing in Konqueror 3.5.10. Content looks to be in a frame in the centre of the window with scrollbars right and bottom.

Edit: this is not the case in Firefox 3.0.8, but Opera 9.6.4 shows the right vertical scrollbar (as well as the window's own scrollbar, of course).
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
ollie wrote:
but why put the web page into a frame too small for the content, resulting in both vertical and horizontal scroll bars in the middle of the screen?

See the same thing in Konqueror 3.5.10. Content looks to be in a frame in the centre of the window with scrollbars right and bottom.

Edit: this is not the case in Firefox 3.0.8, but Opera 9.6.4 shows the right vertical scrollbar (as well as the window's own scrollbar, of course).

Definitely does this in Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 (Screen resolution 1680 x 1050) but not in Opera 9.64 Build 2480 or Konqueror 4.1.4.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Weird, I wonder why the browser problems are reversed for Ubuntu and openSUSE users?

Also using x86_64, but on dual 1280x1024 monitors (Nvidia TwinView).
LoL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Weird, I wonder why the browser problems are reversed for Ubuntu and openSUSE users?

Also using x86_64, but on dual 1280x1024 monitors (Nvidia TwinView).

Cos noobuntu is rubbish!

There! ... I said it!
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Back on my main PC with a 1280 x 1024 monitor (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) and the problem only appears on Konqueror 3.5.10. So it appears that it is an issue with the "iframe". Why are you using inline frames for a general web page? You can control width of an area using CSS, which is much easier to control and ,ore consistent across browsers.
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Strange. I got 1440x900 and it's fine! Ubuntu 8.10 i386 FF3.0.8.
I'll just extend it now.

Better?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Brand New Web OS - Xenon Reply with quote

Seems to be.
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon is now here, with revamped UI, wiki and Appdev corner:
http://xenon.kevinghadyani.com/

And also on the news of lots of sites! Whoa yeah!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: