UNIX problems

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

UNIX problems

Postby risc_user » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Hello,
I've bought some exotic UNIX machines and run into problems instantly.
First is a Tadpole SPARCbook 3. I got it on eBay as non working. It wanted to boot from a network but I've worked out how to make it boot from disc. The huge problem is that I don't know the password! And there is no CD or floppy drive. And the internal disc is some sort of SCSI and I don't know what hardware I need to read it in another computer. Can you get SCSI cards for 2.5 inch drives? Or can you get external CD drives for the weird square SCSI port?
The other one is a HP9000 with HPUX. I do know the password. It boots to a graphical login and when I log in the screen blanks and returns me to the login. I can log in through a command line (there's an option on the graphical thing for it). I assume it's trying a screen set up not compatible with my monitor and barfing but I've got no idea how to reconfigure HPUX.
Can anyone help me or do I deserve everything I get for straying from Linux?
risc_user

RE: UNIX problems

Postby guy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:01 pm

I guess the tadpole is probably used to Solaris. But equally, I guess that Sun will have no idea what Tadpole did to the BIOS. Google tadpole and bios password?

Can you boot the HP9000 from CD?

do I deserve everything I get for straying from Linux?

Linux is all about choice. You may stray as you choose. However, like software, choice does not come with any warranty. :shock:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

RE: UNIX problems

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Well said Guy :D

As for your HP, I'd love to have a go at it, but as I'm not exactly in the area and won't be for the forseeable future it's not very likely I will ;) Good luck though!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Other OS