Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Isn't IBM's 'SoulPad' same as booting to external Knoppix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serene
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Isn't IBM's 'SoulPad' same as booting to external Knoppix? Reply with quote

Regarding IBM's 'SoulPad' ...
http://www.primidi.com/2005/08/11.html

Isn't this the same as installing Knoppix on to a partition on an external USB Hard drive, and then booting to it?

Hasn't this capability been around for some time?.

Thank you.
Serene
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: RE: Isn Reply with quote

The difference appears to be that instead of running applications directly on Knoppix, they have added a VMWare virtual machine to Knoppix and run the apps on that. I know you can suspend the VM to save on shutdown/startup time, but wouldn't you still have to shutdown/startup Knoppix? You may save a little time because Knoppix could be cut down to only what VMWare needs to run.

I guess the significant difference is that you can run any OS you want on VMWare, so this would give a portable Windows system. I take it that this is an admission that even IBM can't build a Windows live disc...
serene
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: re: IBM SoulPad Reply with quote

For Nelz: Thanks for the insight.

It's difficult for me to understand what the need for this is, as VMware is very restricted to 'only' their approved Distro and version of linux and they don't update this frequently.

If one boots from an external USB drive with Knoppix installed... then shut down normally, all my work would be saved anyway so what would be the need to 'suspend' ?

This article got my attention from their headline "Will a SoulPad Replace your Laptop?"... I don't see how.

Serene
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: RE: re: IBM SoulPad Reply with quote

VMWare 5 has run everything I've thrown at it. Win98, WinXP and over a dozen Linux distros. The suspend feature of VMWare is nice, rather like the sleep function of a laptop. The only real reason I can see for this (apart from being a good way to sell lots of USB drives at outrageous prices Smile) is hat using VMWare also gives you a mobile Windows platform.

I would guess they have set it up so that Knoppix runs VMWare automatically, and resumes the last session in fullscreen mode, so you never see the underlying OS. This is how the Amiga Forever CDs work, running a cut down Knoppix, which you never see, that launches USE i fullscreen mode.
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Isn't IBM's 'SoulPad' same as booting to external Knoppi Reply with quote

serene wrote:
Regarding IBM's 'SoulPad' ...
http://www.primidi.com/2005/08/11.html

Isn't this the same as installing Knoppix on to a partition on an external USB Hard drive, and then booting to it?

Hasn't this capability been around for some time?.

Thank you.
Serene

Shhh, For goodness sake be quiet! You will ruin perfectly good sales for poor ol' IBM! Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: