Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debian 3.1 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Fish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Debian 3.1 Problems Reply with quote

I'm rather new to Linux, but I've dabbled now and again in the past. I thought I'd try-out Debian after enjoying using a live cd of Ubuntu. I've run across a few problems however.

First, my screen resolution won't go any higher than 800x600, yet I know my LCD's default rez is 1280x1024. I'm assuming this might have something to do with my ATI Radion 9000 gfx card. Am I right in saying that ATI and Linux don't play well together? Strange that Ubuntu set it up correctly though...

Second. I'm not sure, but I think my soundcard may not be working either. It's a Soundblaster Audigy.

Third. Despite setting it up during the installation, it seems my keyboard is set to an American layout. I found this out when I tried to register here and couldn't find "@".

I'd also like to mention that I tried to install Debian four times before I realised that I needed to press the space bar at the package selection page. Being dropped at a rather unfriendly command prompt was disheartening to say the least. But still, I got there eventually and now I'd just like to sort-out these little niggles.

TIA
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Debian 3.1 Problems Reply with quote

1) You probably need to set-up the monitor correctly or/and get the ATi drivers from their website.

2) Try opening a mixer application or go to a console and type "alsamixer" as often cards are just muted for no rhyme or reason.

3) In GNOME the setting is in the preferences menu somewhere - I remember not where, I found I had to uninstall lots of US stuff and install GB files instead for dictionaries and the like.

4) Debian is not the most newbie friendly distro there is. Congratulations for trying one of the better distros first but it will take a little learning. Feel free to ask us how to do things if/when you get stuck.

erin
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Debian 3.1 Problems Reply with quote

if you're using kde there should be a little usflag icon in the bottom right hand tool bar, if you right click and choose configure you should be able to pick the uk option and move it to the top of the list, and even remove the american option too

HTH
Dick
oh and I echo Erin on point 4 Wink
Mr_Fish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually got a "proper" screen resolution by entering

Quote:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

(Google is your friend!) and re-running the xserver setup. Seemed to cure my keyboard problems as well.

I installed a newer kernel to see if that would give me sound, but unfortunately not. Considerably speeded up my boot time though.

I like what I've seen, but I've also been playing with an Ubuntu live CD, and I think I like that better. For a start, everything just... worked. Just hope the full installation is the same.

Thanks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: