LXF Mandriva special

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby AJB2K3 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:34 pm

My local smithes only sell 2 linux mags as apposed to 22 XP mags
Ive got mandriva up and running but wanted the mag so i could learn abit about it.
@nelz yes if complained, ive jumped up and down with anger.
@LXF Can i order the special?
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 am

Marrea wrote:
Anyway, when I wrote my previous post yesterday I still had Mandriva running from initial installation. In the evening I went to shut down the computer and guess what? It wouldn't power off. So that's something I shall need to investigate. I now have Ubuntu dual-booting with WinXP on a laptop, and Mandriva dual-booting with WinXP on a desktop. Ubuntu will shutdown but not restart, and Mandriva will restart but not shutdown. There are no problems with either shutting down or restarting on the Windows side of both machines. Perhaps we could have an article in a future LXF about shutdown/restart issues in Linux. I'm baffled by the whole subject of power management (for I assume this is what lies behind the problems I am experiencing) and why on the same computer Linux appears to be adversely affected but not Windows.

Just to say, in case anyone else runs into the same problem, that I have now fixed this (on Mandriva, at least). During installation, when you get to the bootloader location section, there is an option to check "Enable ACPI". If you do this (at least in my case), it allows the computer to turn off properly. However, I don't know if it is just me but I found there was no chance to change anything on this screen. I merely received a message "Installing bootloader" and it whizzed straight on to the Summary screen, which fortunately is where you can alter any of the previous choices you have made - or in this case a choice made for you by Mandriva !!

Because I had failed to check the "Enable ACPI" box during initial installation and could not seem to make this selection stick subsequently by using the relevant part of the Mandrake Control Centre (again, is this just me?), I had to run through the whole installation process from the beginning again (but making sure I skipped over the bit about formatting the existing partitions as they were obviously already set up).

I'd still like to see an article in a future LXF about power management issues though.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:53 am

Enable acpi is here:

MdkCC-> Boot -> Setup how system boots -> Tick the little enable box...

Hope this helps, I spent ages finding it when I had the same problem, and came across it by accident...

:roll:
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:54 am

Marrea wrote:I'd still like to see an article in a future LXF about power management issues though.

Yes, please... I had all sorts of problems with my A64 box until I disabled both ACPI and APM at boot-time. Haven't had time to revisit it, and don't really know what I'm doing anyway, so an article would be very welcome.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:07 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:Enable acpi is here:

MdkCC-> Boot -> Setup how system boots -> Tick the little enable box...

Yes, I found it in the Control Center OK - but the funny thing was (as I said above maybe it's just me) that even though I ticked the box it wouldn't "save" the setting, if you know what I mean. So I had to go right through the install again to get to that bit and check the box there. That did the trick ! (I've got a lot to learn about Mandriva yet, having concentrated mainly on SuSE so far.)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:13 pm

ohhh, read your post incorrectly, I thought you said you couldn't find it in MDKCC!!

Not sure why it didn't save it though? What version are you using? I did this on 2005 (10.2)

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:41 pm

I'm using 2005 LE (the one that came with the LXF Special magazine). When I say it didn't save it, I went into the screen and (a) tried to change the bootloader location - I wanted to change from MBR to floppy disk; and (b) put a tick alongside Enable ACPI. I don't think there is an actual Save button as such, but I can't remember now (I shall have to go back and check). So I just closed the box. When I opened it up again to check if it had retained the changes, it had gone back to Lilo on the MBR and the tick had gone from Enable ACPI. So I assumed from this it hadn't saved my amended configuration. Certainly when I then tried to boot from the floppy, nothing happened.

Maybe I did something wrong or didn't do something I should have done. Anyway, after doing a fixmbr from the Windows XP CD, I then just quickly ran through the installation procedure again, made the changes and this time they worked.

As I said, I'm not too sure what I'm doing with Mandriva at this early stage !! :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby andrewmoore2 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:48 pm

Can you tell me what software was used to design the free wall chart given away in the Mandriva Special. I'd like to do something similar at work, just not for Mandriva.

Whilst it's not a bad read, I found the Mandriva Special to be very overpriced at £9.99 and "ummed 'n' ahhed" for a few days before splashing out.

Also, the little Mandriva Update icon that's loaded by default will not connect me to mandriva's site or allow me to join. It asked me in the final stage of installation if I had an existing id or if I wich to subscribe, neither option connected. Nor do the links in the start page that is displayed on boot. I am assuming this is because they all point to Mandrake site addresses rather then mandriva's. I found this to be sloppy and ill thought out.

Andy.
andrewmoore2

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:55 pm

I agree, I am putting in a new 64-bit web server for school so needed to download the 64-bit edition of Mandriva. The problem is that they have now disconnected thier mandrake domain, so any links (including alot of the club member bit-torrets) no longer work, in the end I had to have the 64-bit cd version and not the dvd version as it was the only one linked up...the same for the new 3.4 kde version that is available for club members.

I do find this a bit un-professionial and think that they should of kept the domain until they were entirely sure that all of the links had been moved across.

:x

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:20 pm

andrewmoore2 wrote:Also, the little Mandriva Update icon that's loaded by default will not connect me to mandriva's site or allow me to join.
Andy.

Yes, I found this too. I entered a user name, password and e-mail address but all that happened was I received a "cannot connect to server" error. Then the next time I tried I got an "e-mail not valid" message. So I gave up.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby AJB2K3 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:49 pm

Well after 3 weeks of complaining, my local ordered a bundle of cd copys and im actualy not impressed.
1, 9.99 for an ordanery sized issue?
2 where all the mandriva specific stuff? its all about programs included with mandriva but not about mandriva.
For 9.99 i was expecting a standered "special issue" not a mandriva themed standered issue.
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:31 pm

Just got back from a business trip up north... WHS in Aberdeen had plenty of copies (Yes, I did buy one).
Nigel
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs