Website slugish

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Website slugish

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm getting repeated 'database connection errors' when browsing the forum for the last 2 hrs orso. Reloading often fixes the issue, but loading pages takes forever. Other sites work as expected. Any ideas?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

RE: Website slugish

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:46 pm

We were being Slashdotted and OSNewsed simultaneously :-) Has calmed down a bit now though.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Website slugish

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:09 pm

OK, thx Mike!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: RE: Website slugish

Postby paulm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:26 pm

M-Saunders wrote:We were being Slashdotted and OSNewsed simultaneously :-) Has calmed down a bit now though.

M

:twisted: Is that why the system clock is always wrong? Or have you lost NTP.

Sorry, couldn't resist - this is one forum that never tells me the right time....

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Website slugish

Postby Levi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm

You mean OSNews had linked to LXF website? I don't get it...
Wikipedia isn't much help here....

~Levi
Blind SQL with the XSSsss noise is hell!
Levi

Re: RE: Re: RE: Website slugish

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Levi wrote:You mean OSNews had linked to LXF website? I don't get it...
Wikipedia isn't much help here....

~Levi

Slashdot and OSNews are websites that post news stories and links to the original articles, large numbers of readers visit these sites, then follow the link to the article of interest on the LXF site (LXF test on Ooo3 in this case), all these extra visitors put the site under a heavy load.

Other websites can have a similar effect, being User Friendly's LotD (Link of the Day) can have a similar deleterious effect, especially for sites that don't expect to get a lot of visitors.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Budgie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 pm

My first experience of this forum has been very poor indeed. It has taken several minutes to load each page and I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia. Unless you can cut the clutter a bit or speed up response you will damage the reputation of your excellent magazine.
Budgie

Postby RedWillow » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Budgie wrote:I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia.

Have you read this thread yet? It seems that something sinister may be going on, although we await the final diagnosis. Hint: if you've got adblock plus installed, add '*.ru' as a filter rule. Worked like a charm for me.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby Budgie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am

RedWillow wrote:
Budgie wrote:I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia.

Have you read this thread yet? It seems that something sinister may be going on, although we await the final diagnosis. Hint: if you've got adblock plus installed, add '*.ru' as a filter rule. Worked like a charm for me.

Many thanks. Have installed adblock plus and already noticed an improvement. Will add the *.ru filter now.
Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Budgie
Budgie

Postby RedWillow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am

Budgie wrote:Will add the *.ru filter now.

Now? As in 22nd January = now? :lol: You're a bit late; Mike fixed the problem 10 days ago and I haven't been getting any hits on my *.ru filter rule since. :P

But I'm glad you've found Adblock Plus useful. You may or may not have noticed, but when you first started Firefox after installing it, a window will have popped up offering a subscription to a number of filter rule sets. I always choose the first one (USA Easylist - or something like that) which deals with most of the irritating ones. I don't often have to add my own rules.

A word of warning about the *.ru filter rule. If, by chance, you want to visit a reputable Russian web-site, it will bugger up your browsing experience something rotten. To see what I mean, have a look at the St Petersburg Times site with and without the *.ru filter enabled. Link:

http://www.sptimes.ru/
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 pm

RedWillow wrote:A word of warning about the *.ru filter rule. If, by chance, you want to visit a reputable Russian web-site, it will bugger up your browsing experience something rotten. To see what I mean, have a look at the St Petersburg Times site with and without the *.ru filter enabled. Link:

http://www.sptimes.ru/

Nope, I get the information from the site (in English) but the images and ads have been blocked. If you were visiting these sites on a regular basis and needed the images putting a rule in to allow that site before *.ru would allow better access.
ollie

Postby RedWillow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm

ollie wrote:Nope, I get the information from the site (in English) but the images and ads have been blocked.

Yep! That's what I meant. :P Ads have been blocked = good. Images have been blocked = bad. Which is why I said the filter buggers up your browsing experience (in Russian sites). :wink:

But I take your second point. Trouble is, you'd have to set up rules for every .ru site you wanted to visit. Not that I visit (m)any!
RedWillow
LXF regular

Return to This Website