Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASCII characters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: ASCII characters Reply with quote

Is it possible to get the full ASCII character set, as with Windows where you type Alt+the ASCII character code, such as Alt+0188 for the 1/4 symbol?

I have a laptop with a US keyboard, but I live in Finland and often find I need a few more letters...
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: RE: ASCII characters Reply with quote

It's possible, but not by the alt+ method. Use (in Kde) KCharSelect (usually somewhere under utilities). There are facilities like xmodmap & xkeycaps which will allow you to modify your keyboard (for example, you're bound to have surplus windows keys).
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: RE: ASCII characters Reply with quote

I was thinking about 'relabelling' the keyboard and loading the Finnish key map, there are still characters I frequencty use, such as fractions, the plus/minus sign and so on.

I suppose once I have relabelled the keyboard, I could add an 'alt-gr' character to a few more keys, but I was wondering if there was an easier way...
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: RE: ASCII characters Reply with quote

man ascii will give you characters up to 127, and man iso_8859_1, iso_8859_15, and man iso_8859_7 will return character from 160 upto 255. Not exactly a keyboard short cut, but something.

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: RE: ASCII characters Reply with quote

Did you know that in Linux it is not too hard to re-allocate the symbols you get when you press the Right-alt key (optionally plus Shift) with another character? Also the symbols you get using Compose (normally the "Windoze menu key" plus two or more keys in succession.

I did a "How-To" on another site:

Keyboards, Numlock and Special Characters

Hope that's of some help.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: