The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi All,
Just saying howdy, I've just got the special edition Linux Format and have decided to give it a go. After a failed attempt a few weeks back with a £6 DVD version of Mandriva...it left a vile taste for Linux. But, as this issue had an exellent magazine attached! I thought I'd give it another go.
Glad I did, it went on fine! So REALLY don't know why then Divvy version didn't. Still, onwards and upwards.
Only downside to it all? I don't seem to be able to get my PC to copy the 4th CD (the one with updates on it). Still, no biggie. I'm on the Internet and I've just configured the e-mail side of things (Evolution). As yet I haven't worked out how to add a shortcut to my desktop, for Evolution. Probably staring me in the face - but I can't see it. Any helpful comments would be really welcome. I'll have a scout round the site.
I'm basically just registering and saying hello. Looking forward to enjoying using Linux...with a view to dropping Windows eventually.
Kind regards to all.
Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

RE: Newbie

Postby Erin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:09 pm

If you are using GNOME, right click on the desktop and choose "create launcher". I guess the command is "evolution" and icons ar often in /usr/share/pixmap/

Glad you are enjoying Linux. Once you get used to it, it is superb.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby RD » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:05 pm

KDE right click on desktop new then create link to application
RD
LXF regular

Postby bigjohn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:26 pm

as above with RD's comment, then click the icon to choose one that you want to use, put evolution or whatever you want to call it, the only possibly tricky bit is the command. Some will just work with the name (Opera does that), but some you will need to put a "path" to where the executable file is. Something like /usr/bin/evolution (which might work, I don't know, as I don't use evolution).

Or if it (evolution) appears in the menu, you can always put a "panel" on the task bar - you might have to move stuff to the right to make room, but right click and then add to panel>application>internet>email>evolution should do the trick and you get an "evo" start button on the task bar (with KDE of course, don't know with gnome, don't use it, never have got on with it!)

regards

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:45 pm

If it appears in the menu just drag it to where you want an icon and you have both menu item and icon on destop or tool bar, whatever, at least thats what happens in my gnome.
As to creating for an application not in your menu then you use the old right click regime as described by bigjohn, including listing the path to the apropriate binary.
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby bigjohn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:19 am

How stupid of me to forget that you can drag and drop in later kde versions!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:14 am

Many thanks to...Erin, RD, (Big) John and Dick for your answers. I told you it would prolly be staring me in the face! Even using Windows, I still forget to 'Drag n Drop'!

Off for some more practice,

Hang loose chaps and chappesses.

Pete :mrgreen:
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Return to Help!