Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just saying howdy, I've just got the special edition Linux Format and have decided to give it a go. After a failed attempt a few weeks back with a 6 DVD version of Mandriva...it left a vile taste for Linux. But, as this issue had an exellent magazine attached! I thought I'd give it another go.
Glad I did, it went on fine! So REALLY don't know why then Divvy version didn't. Still, onwards and upwards.
Only downside to it all? I don't seem to be able to get my PC to copy the 4th CD (the one with updates on it). Still, no biggie. I'm on the Internet and I've just configured the e-mail side of things (Evolution). As yet I haven't worked out how to add a shortcut to my desktop, for Evolution. Probably staring me in the face - but I can't see it. Any helpful comments would be really welcome. I'll have a scout round the site.
I'm basically just registering and saying hello. Looking forward to enjoying using Linux...with a view to dropping Windows eventually.
Kind regards to all.
Pete.
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Newbie Reply with quote

If you are using GNOME, right click on the desktop and choose "create launcher". I guess the command is "evolution" and icons ar often in /usr/share/pixmap/

Glad you are enjoying Linux. Once you get used to it, it is superb.

Erin
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Newbie Reply with quote

KDE right click on desktop new then create link to application
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie Reply with quote

as above with RD's comment, then click the icon to choose one that you want to use, put evolution or whatever you want to call it, the only possibly tricky bit is the command. Some will just work with the name (Opera does that), but some you will need to put a "path" to where the executable file is. Something like /usr/bin/evolution (which might work, I don't know, as I don't use evolution).

Or if it (evolution) appears in the menu, you can always put a "panel" on the task bar - you might have to move stuff to the right to make room, but right click and then add to panel>application>internet>email>evolution should do the trick and you get an "evo" start button on the task bar (with KDE of course, don't know with gnome, don't use it, never have got on with it!)

regards

John
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie Reply with quote

If it appears in the menu just drag it to where you want an icon and you have both menu item and icon on destop or tool bar, whatever, at least thats what happens in my gnome.
As to creating for an application not in your menu then you use the old right click regime as described by bigjohn, including listing the path to the apropriate binary.
HTH
Dick
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie Reply with quote

How stupid of me to forget that you can drag and drop in later kde versions!
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Many thanks to...Erin, RD, (Big) John and Dick for your answers. I told you it would prolly be staring me in the face! Even using Windows, I still forget to 'Drag n Drop'!

Off for some more practice,

Hang loose chaps and chappesses.

Pete Mr. Green
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: