Disk clone

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Disk clone

Postby wilkav » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi, I am using SUSE 9.2 now full time with one minor problem-my hard drive is too small. I have a new, larger drive and would like to clone my present drive. It must also be bootable (obviously) so any help appreciated. Thanks.
wilkav
wilkav

RE: Disk clone

Postby Flea » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:13 am

hmm, http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/ might be a good place to start looking. Its a 'Norton Ghost' clone for Linux systems.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks, Flea, glad you hopped on board. Will download it tomorrow on a friend's b/b connection. Regards.

Postby wilkav » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Too lazy to log in, the "Guest" was I!
wilkav

Postby davecs » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:04 pm

If you've got access to a live distro, it probably has a program on it called Partition Image. The thing being that you cannot back up the running distro because the file system will be mounted.

The other problem is that you need some disk space to clone the system to! This could also be a problem.

Why not add your new hard drive and keep your old one. Then Re-install SuSE on your new drive, and mount your old one at "home". Finally, as root, you can move all the data in your new "home" folder up a level and delete all the other stuff from your old drive.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

disk clone

Postby wilkav » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks, Davecs, downloaded g4l and will mess about with it for a while. My AMR modem works beautifully at the moment, but refused to work at all on a previous installation. Decisions, decisions! Thanks, people.
wilkav

Return to Help!