Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:23 pm

Hurrah for Elite! And a slightly louder Hurrah for Frontier, which ate up an alarming amount of my youth trading saved games with friends. Somewhere I still have scraps of paper containing outdoor worlds at bizarre coordinates like -4000,-1000 etc. My dream is to own a real-life Panther Clipper one day...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby bhoggett » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:41 am

I found the article strangely compelling because even though there have been lots of retro-games articles and a myriad of magazines - and there's even a dedicated mag - they all look at it from the Windows perspective. Seeing it from a Linux perspective was refreshing.

(and of course Amithlon got a completely gratuitous mention too :P)

evilnick wrote:On the C64, it was probably Lords of Midnight.

Going a bit off-topic here - or at least on a tangent - did you know Alan Cox once started writing a conversion of this to GTK+? Now there's a spooky link considering Alan was featured in the same issue...

BTW, for Lords of Midnight fans (like me) there's a multi-user on-line version called Midnight/MU. You can google for the link as I don't want to spam the forum. Beware, don't join if you value your job, relationships, social life etc. It's bad for your sanity.
bhoggett

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:06 am

bhoggett wrote:(and of course Amithlon got a completely gratuitous mention too :P)

If you knew who had written the Amiga emulation part, you would not be at all surprised by that :)
nelz
Site admin

Postby bhoggett » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:17 am

nelz wrote:If you knew who had written the Amiga emulation part, you would not be at all surprised by that :)

Once I read it, I had my suspicions. :wink:

However, I was still surprised to see it there because it is more relevant through its Linux links than through its retro-gaming ones. A shame it died when it did, or else it might have warranted an LXF featurette at some point. :cry:
bhoggett

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:47 pm

Incidentally, I received a mail from Cloanto earlier today, there's a new version of Amiga Forever coming out next week.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs