dvd writing

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dvd writing

Postby mjpwall » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:25 pm

Firstly, I am completly new to linux, haven't a clue!

Here's my issue, I want to record DVD video, these are completly legal not copies. I have a kodak disc transporter which is a scsi device and I want to use it in combination with a USB2 DVD-writer. I have found some windows software that almost works but not quite. Is there any Linux software that would be fairly easy to get to grips with that might do this job for me. Also can you suggest a distro that might be easy to get to grips with.
mjpwall

RE: dvd writing

Postby zarathustra » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Sorry but, are you looking to make straight copies?
As for the distro, that's a really tough one as many will have different opinions. What I suggest is you try some of the user friendly 'Live discs' ie knoppix though I think Kubuntu comes on a live disc as well. These run direct from cd, so nothing gets installed on hard drive etc, thus you can get a feel for linux and then look around and make your own choice on distro. Kubuntu for what it's worth comes as both live and installable so if you like it install is an easy option.

Regards zara...

P.S. if this hasn't helped post back and say so, I'm sure others will endeavour to help. :)
zarathustra

Postby Flea » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:09 am

You might want to take a look at the Dyne:bolic Linux distro http://www.dynebolic.org/ its a live CD, which means you don't even have to install it, it boots from the CD-ROM. Although I have only glanced at it I do believe it has extensive multimedia tools including video production. Don't hold me to that though.

Good Luck,

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:44 am

The distro suggestions are good thanks, I have DVD-video produced, I have the relevant VIDEO_TS AND AUDIO_TS FOLDERS, I need to make 2500 copies for distribution, these are not copies of movies. Ihave a Kodak disc transporter which is a scsi device that loads up to 75 discs, I need to operate this machine, any ideas.

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:59 am

the below site specifically mentions Kodak PCD-600 but might be useful:
http://linuxreviews.org/man/cdrecord/
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Help!