gedit

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

gedit

Postby guy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:47 pm

The current LXF slams gedit as neither a plain text editor nor a script editor.

On another thread pau1ie doesn't want to be told how to use gedit. Fair enough, he's way past that point.

I stll think it's a handy text editor for people who don't want to know what a scripting language is, even if LXF can't imagine judging it by any other criterion. All the basic tools I need are where I expect them to be, and they just work. Not rocket science I know, but how many text editors can you really say that for. The LXF reviewer didn't say why they found it humdrum for this purpose - I wonder why they did?

Maybe I need to play with NEdit a little, to see what I am missing?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

RE: gedit

Postby jlarue » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Gedit is, in my humble opinion, the best application I've ever used. It exemplifies the essence of the Gnome philosophy: simple, direct, easy-to-use, with just the things you need, a clear menu structure, and extensibility without compromising any of the above.

So there!
jlarue

Postby M0PHP » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:21 pm

Yep, Gedit rocks... who cares about crappy Emacs and vi? Not me ... nano/pico and gedit all the way!! 8)
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 pm

Personally I cannot get used to Vi or Emacs. I think the continuing arguments over Vi and Emacs represents the worst aspect of Open Source Snobbery. As long as Linux users continue this pointless argument, yer average punter will be put off trying Linux.

Gedit is a tabbed editor, and even though I am not a Gnome user, I think it does what it's meant to do and does it well.

Kwrite is good, and if you need something a bit more complex, Kate is easy to learn (as is anything where the standard cut+paste services work).

As for text-only mode, when I have to, I use nano. I would prefer it if there was a text editor for console use which could make use of console mouse services and used all the regular keys for cut/copy/paste/save etc, actually I must confess that, from my old M$ DOS days, I actually like M$ Edit, and something simple like that would be nice for when I get trapped in a console.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Personally I'm a big user of the jed editor. It can be used from the console or in an xterm. It also comes with xjed, which can be run as an x application. xjed also responds to mouse clicks to activate the menus.

You can get it from

http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/

In order to compile jed you'll also need the slang library. This is included with SUSE 9.3

Gordon
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:43 pm

Glad someone posted this. I use gedit alot and find it perfect for my needs. My 2 cents.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Re: RE: gedit

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:34 am

jlarue wrote:Gedit is, in my humble opinion, the best application I've ever used. It exemplifies the essence of the Gnome philosophy: simple, direct, easy-to-use, with just the things you need, a clear menu structure, and extensibility without compromising any of the above.

So there!

And I wholeheartedly agree with you. I wasn't even aware of gedit before using Ubuntu, where it seems to be the default text editor. I had always struggled with vi in SuSE. All I ever want to do is make slight amendments to configuration files and I think gedit is so quick and easy for doing that. I doubt I'll ever bother with quirky old vi again !!
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: gedit

Postby Erin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:21 pm

Gedit replaced with Leafpad. Gedit is too fat for my PC. Leafpad does mostly what Gedit does with notepad lightness plus a few extras.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:00 am

In my Windows' entrenched world of technical writing, I torment users of abominations such as Adept Epic, with taunts of "real men use Notepad"

On my Linux PCs, I find GEdit actually better that Notepad, as it is more flexible (bigger files, tabbed windows & so on) and is great for editting systems files when you don't want to use a fully fledged word processor.

I use Vi is I ever get stuck at the command line, or if I just can't be @rsed to open another applicatyion and browse to the file concerned, as it is easier to just type [b]vi /path/to/file/filename. However, Vi is still a pig to use...
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:04 am

alloydog
I know its a little thing but could you please alter your sig to read "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
TIA
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Re: RE: gedit

Postby Rhakios » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:44 pm

towy71 wrote:alloydog
I know its a little thing but could you please alter your sig to read "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
TIA
Dick

I believe I have commented on this before: every time I have seen this quote used in a sig, there is some sort of error in it. I now believe it is designed to annoy people who have enough knowledge (actually, mere attention to detail) to spot the error: a way of suggesting they lack imagination perhaps.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: gedit

Postby alloydog » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:19 pm

Actually it was a copy/paste error, however, I have tried several times to change the sig, but it just won't have it!
alloydog
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: gedit

Postby guy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:07 pm

<back from bonnie Scotland />

Sooo...

What about that in-depth Life and Times of gedit with down-and-dirty how to write extensions, for the next available LXF?

Evil Nick to allocate the writing of same to the last staffer left in the room after he's finished reading this.

Nobody left? Oh well, I'm glad to find my opinion is not alone, anyway.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Return to Discussion