Another Microsoft own-goal

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Marrea wrote:The only other thing I may possibly have done with this particular router is enable the 113 filter.

Much better to enable the 1337 filter. :lol:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Marrea wrote:I don't have a network and my router is used purely for sharing an internet connection.

If you have two computers connected to the router, you have a network. Technically, if you have one computer connected to the router, you still have a network, but I leave that sort of pedantry to Rhakios ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:08 pm

nelz wrote:If you have two computers connected to the router, you have a network. Technically, if you have one computer connected to the router, you still have a network, but I leave that sort of pedantry to Rhakios ;-)

Odd, I clearly remember leaving it to you. :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 pm

nelz wrote:If you have two computers connected to the router, you have a network.

So who's the pedant? :)

I think you know perfectly well what I meant. I don't have a network in the generally accepted sense of the word. Our computers don't share files or printers or anything like that. They are self-contained units, but to maintain marital harmony I had to ensure that HimIndoors could look at his train sites whenever he wanted to instead of being forced to wait for me to finish typing gibberish on the LXF site. :D

And Rhakios - strangely I couldn't find any information about enabling 1337 in my Linksys Guide! :lol:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:58 am

You DO have a network, two computers connected that can communicate with each other. You may choose not to use it, but it does exist. It's like saying "I have nothing to wear" when you have a wardrobe full of clothes you don't want to wear ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:40 pm

Oh all right then. I give in. :wink:

How Stuff Works says:

A home network is simply a method of allowing computers to communicate with one another. If you have two or more computers in your home, a network can let them share:

Files and documents
An Internet connection
Printers, print servers and scanners
Stereos, TVs and game systems
CD burners

I should know better than to try and argue with you! :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS