Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007

Postby ollie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:29 am

Well, I've just used the worst word processor ever. I started using word processors back with Windows 3.11 and have been through a multitude of different products from different companies. Microsoft Office 2007 Word is absolutely garbage.

I have a new customer whose "friend" had tried to set-up their new laptop a number of months ago. It started with Windows Live OneCare that wasn't installed correctly and wouldn't do any updates. I spent nearly an hour on the phone to Microsoft help and ended up talking to the US help desk - "Where are you calling from, Bathurst, Australia, is that near Canada?" - but finally got a working Windows Live OneCare. There is still an extra computer in the circle but I can't get rid of it and neither could Microsoft!

The customer wants a basic User Guide to help with file management, Internet connection and email. I started with doing screen shots on the laptop and decided that it would be easy enough to use Microsoft Word 2007 to write up simple instructions and include the appropriate screen shots. It became really frustrating with placing graphics and setting text wrap to "top and bottom". The images would jump everywhere all over the page and previous pages. As soon as they jumped before the previous image the automatic caption numbering would get out of sequence. This meant either deleting the two images and having another go or dragging the caption box to the correct image sequence.

I finally got the document finished and decided to publish to PDF - I then found that I'd saved the document in *.docx format and opening with OpenOffice.org 2.4 on my Ubuntu 8.04 system didn't bring the images across. :x So I pinched my Vista laptop off my daughter, I had to get one to use Cisco SDM a couple of months ago :roll:, and went to print the document using Adobe Acrobat. It took me 15 minutes to find where the "Print" menu is located in Microsoft Office 2007 Word. I went through every "ribbon menu" and checked all of the options available in each section. I tried the little menu where "Save" and "Undo" icons reside. I eventually found the hidden menu that appears when you click on the Office Logo at the top left of the window.

It's not like I'm computer illiterate, or have only used one operating system or only used one obscure word processor but with over 15-years computer experience and over 8-years teaching IT part-time I felt basically incompetent using a word processor.

It really is the time of Linux on the desktop, and with more and more "netbook"/mini-notebooks at low prices running customised versions of Linux, it can't happen quick enough for me.
ollie

RE: Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 am

Relax Ollie. M$ Vista is the best advertisement Linux could ever ask for ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

RE: Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007

Postby ollie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am

I had just had enough crap with doing something that should have taken a couple of hours at the most.

I've got to agree that it only needs a small change in the major hardware vendors attitude to Microsoft's goal of "a Microsoft PC on every desk". I think the Asus Eee PC and Acer's big Linux push models will be rapidly adopted by all the other major hardware vendors.
ollie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:17 pm

I agree with you, It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to print something, and I troubleshoot and train software.

MS has to keep changing the interface so that people will keep upgrading, as otherwise, it is just a bugfixing exercise, and people won't pay for new versions unless they see them as "improved"
Thing is, this seems to be backfiring, with radical changes made for absolutely no reason, the time wasted learning a new and less intuitive interface is starting to annoy people, and the business world is starting to turn its back on them.

"Progress" is supposed to mean improvement, Vista and Office 2007 are just more messy and less useable, it is increasingly harder to get at important settings.

Win2k was a peak IMHO, the rot started with XP.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:34 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:"Progress" is supposed to mean improvement, Vista and Office 2007 are just more messy and less useable, it is increasingly harder to get at important settings.

It's their way of making it secure.

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Win2k was a peak IMHO, the rot started with XP.

Couldn't have agreed more.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Other OS