Linux and Opensouce, What do you think

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: Linux and Opensouce, What do you think

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:43 am

jjmac wrote:So, what's this "pushing", tying together is another way of looking at a mags role ... The idea of an article having to be promotional ... that must be the way you view them ...

I should point out here that I wasn't referring to LXF, or any magazine -- when I said 'we' I meant as a community :)

My overall belief is: Ubuntu, as an example, has succeeded because it doesn't offer GTK+Gnome+Mozilla+OOo+Evo+glibc+Xorg -- it's popular because it's a cohesive desktop, and is a good way to show newcomers 'Linux' without getting bogged-down in describing all the components. It's a desktop with office and internet tools rather than 'Gnome with Mozilla and Evolution' (which means nothing to the uninitiated).

So that's kinda my point, and perhaps I diluted it myself :) I agree with a lot of what you say, and I think we're kinda having two different conversations here (my fault) :)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Just to throw in my 2 euros.

I don't think the community needs to pull in one direction unless it absolutely has to.
Some of the great things about oss, are surely, its flexibility, its ability to change quickly, the link between the users and the developers is pretty short ie the process of directly affecting a project is far easier, quicker and much more likely than with other models.

Some people (sorry its the car agin) who buy a car don't want to know anything about its mpg, bhp, torque levels, limited slip diff, whether its chipable etc They just want to know they can rely on it and that it looks good.
Other people want to be far more hands on, they even want to customize the vehicle, get it chipped, lowered, bored etc etc
The automobile industry does not all pull in one direction, there are markets and products created to fit those markets.
OSS should be the same, if people want easy linux there should be easy distro's ie Linspire, Xandros etc If people want techy, they have LFS, Gentoo etc

Also, since when do people not know about the components within an MS system anyway.
Windows Explorer --> Konqueror
Internet Explorer --> Firefox
Outlook --> Kontact
Office --> Open Office
People still learnt / picked up which app allowed them to do what they wanted, they still had to learn with MS.

The only real difference being that with MS, there are far fewer realistic options, so they did not have to learn five different names for the same thing.

But again, if people don't want to know want to know about the nuts and bolts then they can just pick up a copy of Linspire and stick with it, so they learn how to use Linspire rather than gnu/linux/oss etc
nordle
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:21 pm

or:
Windows Explorer --> Nautilus
Internet Explorer --> Firefox
Outlook --> Evolution / Thunderbird
Office --> Open Office
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:34 pm

Ok, granted, we is refering to the community in general, as does the original post.

Sounds like a good point though, and probably the same conversation, but, doesen't Ubuntu use X ... good grief, i'm gunna have to have a look at that (grin)

Pleeese, pleeeeese reveal what the "uber" in "uber133t" means :D

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 pm

I think uber is a bit like ultra. I'm too old for it all and I'm only 25 :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:23 pm

jjmac wrote:
Pleeese, pleeeeese reveal what the "uber" in "uber133t" means :D

jm

I take it you didn't do German at school then?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:00 am

>>
I take it you didn't do German at school then?
>>

(grin), i wish i had followed through with latin though, i did have the chance, but i was a kid at the time. Spent most of it planning escapes (grin). Oh-well ... the good 'ol daze. I did find LXF 68, July on the shelves over the week-end and it used the term. Going by the context i think it's positve, :D

Total hoot of an issue too :) But it will be a week at least before i start with the Gentoo install. Gotta read all the docs first, of course (grin).

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:54 pm

jjmac wrote:(grin), i wish i had followed through with latin though, i did have the chance, but i was a kid at the time. Spent most of it planning escapes (grin). Oh-well ... the good 'ol daze. I did find LXF 68, July on the shelves over the week-end and it used the term. Going by the context i think it's positve, :D

Uber, or more correctly über, literally means "over" pretty much in all the same ways as this word in English, but more specifically as in "above". But it has more particular connotations, such as the word Übermensch, used in Nietzsce as meaning Superman (not actually the cartoon character, but an ideal human).
So putting über in front of anything is generally to suggest being at a higher level.

Total hoot of an issue too :) But it will be a week at least before i start with the Gentoo install. Gotta read all the docs first, of course (grin).

jm

Reading all the docs eh? Perhaps you could give 1sf (troll) some lessons :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Rhakios, you are surely jesting :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:38 pm

I think hoping would be a more apposite word :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Arrrha, so thats what it means. Thanks for that Rhakios (grin). Babelfish came up with a translation of "more uber", and google just had some references to gaming/clan sites where the word seemed to be very popular.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion