Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse

Postby dwjs1974 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 am

Hey all,

I have been playing around with distros for around 3 years now.
I do like to get stuck in and command line stuff infact i crave learning how to do it.

I however seem to be always drawn back to Opensuse. I tried Debian was a nice distro didnt run alot of the programs i wanted to run. I tried Ubuntu didnt like gnome. So have installed Kubuntu as I like the KDE interface.
But again I am still drawn back to Opensuse. Is it because I am so used to the setup being a YASt fan... I like the way it gives you control.

Anyway I have Kubuntu installed I have installed all the programs that I want and still I pine for the Opensuse feel.

I am waiting for version 11 but i do want to try another distros.

Distros Tried

Fedora Core 3 (remember this one as it was the only distro that automatically updated the system clock from the internet)
Suse 9.3 (my favorite)
Debian 4.1 (seemed a little old and run down couldnt get the programs i wanted)
Ubuntu and family (I tried 7.10 gnome and 8.4 KDE versions and I just dont feel like I have as much control)

Pondering if anyone has any suggestions....

Dave
Great Scott this is heavy.
Opensuse11.1 1gig ram
Dave the Rave
dwjs1974
LXF regular

RE: Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse

Postby Rhakios » Mon May 05, 2008 1:04 pm

If you like the KDE interface, you could try PCLinuxOS. I would recommend Mandriva, on which PCLOS is based, but having tried both, I find PCLOS to be much the better of the two.
Having tried a good many distros myself, I find there aren't that many I can wholeheartedly recommend, though many have interesting features. If you like openSUSE, you could always just stick with it. On which point, having tested the alphas and betas of oS11, I think I might stick with 10.3 on my main desktop until I feel KDE4 is really ready for everyday use. Yes, I know oS11 will come with KDE3.5.9 as well, but why bother with a reinstall that doesn't offer me anything new or any real improvements? Oh dear, I'm veering off topic.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse

Postby nelz » Mon May 05, 2008 1:35 pm

dwjs1974 wrote:I have been playing around with distros for around 3 years now.
I do like to get stuck in and command line stuff infact i crave learning how to do it.

Then its got to be Slackware or Gentoo.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Off Topic