Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download BBC radio programmes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_debian
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Download BBC radio programmes Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I'd like to download a BBC radio 4 "Listen again" programme (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml), for my own listening.

Is it possible to do this, or do I have to listen to it "live"?

I am using Debian stable (Sarge), if that is relevant.

Thanks,

Chris.
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Download BBC radio programmes Reply with quote

I have tried in the past, but the content I cannot findthe source files, that is the .ra,.rm, or .ram files, only the html page. I think it is actively to stop people downloading the programmes.

The only way I can think of, is if you play the programme and record the sound through you soundcard - OK, it's not quick, but you'll get it in the end...
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Download BBC radio programmes Reply with quote

I listen to the programs "live" using the RealPlayer plugin, but use Audacity to capture them at the same time.
This means I can get on with something else whilst recording, then MP3 the result & listen to at my convenience via my MP3 player.

Nigel.
sjeapes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: RE: crestor Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for this but this should work (note: I haven't actually tried it becuase I only have dial-up at home Crying or Very sad )

Quote:
You can select the `Listen' link on the website and get their web-based player. Right click and view source. Find ".ram" to pickout the filename URL. Then run lynx -source URL to get the rstp:// link.

Here's the trick...

% mplayer --version
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
% mplayer -aofile showname-ddmmyy.wav -ao pcm -cache 320 rstp://...
% lame -h showname-ddmmyy.wav showname-ddmmyy.mp3

Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: RE: crestor Reply with quote

Now, where did I read about vsound? Actually there are two programs called vsound, but the one you want creates a loopback for the sound device so that you can record anything you can play. You can get vsound from here, you will also need sox, which should be available from your distros install discs if it isn't installed already. I think there are debs for vsound as well.
The only problem I have had with vsound is that I can't get it to compile on my 64-bit system and the 32-bit version won't work on it either, so I have to resort to one of my 32-bit systems.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: