Download BBC radio programmes

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Download BBC radio programmes

Postby chris_debian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:39 am

Hi, all.

I'd like to download a BBC radio 4 "Listen again" programme (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml), for my own listening.

Is it possible to do this, or do I have to listen to it "live"?

I am using Debian stable (Sarge), if that is relevant.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
LXF regular

RE: Download BBC radio programmes

Postby alloydog » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:02 pm

I have tried in the past, but the content I cannot findthe source files, that is the .ra,.rm, or .ram files, only the html page. I think it is actively to stop people downloading the programmes.

The only way I can think of, is if you play the programme and record the sound through you soundcard - OK, it's not quick, but you'll get it in the end...
alloydog
LXF regular

RE: Download BBC radio programmes

Postby Nigel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:05 pm

I listen to the programs "live" using the RealPlayer plugin, but use Audacity to capture them at the same time.
This means I can get on with something else whilst recording, then MP3 the result & listen to at my convenience via my MP3 player.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: crestor

Postby sjeapes » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:31 am

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for this but this should work (note: I haven't actually tried it becuase I only have dial-up at home :cry: )

You can select the `Listen' link on the website and get their web-based player. Right click and view source. Find ".ram" to pickout the filename URL. Then run lynx -source URL to get the rstp:// link.

Here's the trick...

% mplayer --version
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
% mplayer -aofile showname-ddmmyy.wav -ao pcm -cache 320 rstp://...
% lame -h showname-ddmmyy.wav showname-ddmmyy.mp3
--
Steve
sjeapes

RE: crestor

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:25 pm

Now, where did I read about vsound? Actually there are two programs called vsound, but the one you want creates a loopback for the sound device so that you can record anything you can play. You can get vsound from here, you will also need sox, which should be available from your distros install discs if it isn't installed already. I think there are debs for vsound as well.
The only problem I have had with vsound is that I can't get it to compile on my 64-bit system and the 32-bit version won't work on it either, so I have to resort to one of my 32-bit systems.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Help!