Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Emu10k on Knoppix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

HI - I've got a bit of a problem - My Emu10k seems to be installed, and it's showing up on Kmdx - But no sound is coming out (Yes, I've checked the sound settings, I'm not a complete idiot) I've had this trouble before - However, I've forgotten how it was fixed. A good friend of mine said that Emu10k just had to be "poked" in the Console for it to work. I'm using Knoppix, and have a total of three sound cards - none of which work.

Any suggestions?
Thanks. =)
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

I found that with various versions of SuSE that the levels were all set to zero when installed - this is with two different soundcards that both use emu10k.
I usually invoke alsamixer from a console prompt and check that all the channels I want to use are set around 70-80%, and then adjust the master volume to a suitable level. The various graphic mixers don't seem to show all the options, whereas alsamixer does. Invariably the one I want doesn't show up in the graphic mixers Rolling Eyes

Nigel.
phy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

Nigel wrote:
I found that with various versions of SuSE that the levels were all set to zero when installed - this is with two different soundcards that both use emu10k.
I usually invoke alsamixer from a console prompt and check that all the channels I want to use are set around 70-80%, and then adjust the master volume to a suitable level. The various graphic mixers don't seem to show all the options, whereas alsamixer does. Invariably the one I want doesn't show up in the graphic mixers Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the input, but it doesn't help.

phy wrote:
A good friend of mine said that Emu10k just had to be "poked" in the Console for it to work.
phy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

0000:02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
I/O ports at c000 [size=64]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
0000:02:04.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
Memory at ee106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Memory at ee100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

Open kmix, check the audio setting for digital or analogue, ie tick the check buttons.

I find that it defaults to being analogue I think, so I always have to change it.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help with Emu10k on Knoppix Reply with quote

phy wrote:
0000:02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
I/O ports at c000 [size=64]
0000:02:04.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
Memory at ee106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Memory at ee100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Looks like the same one I have... I wondered if alsamixer would give it the required "poke", but obviously not. I haven't had the analogue/digital problem that Nordle mentions, but it's worth a try.

Perhaps doing a
Code:
modprobe emu10k

will do the trick ? (you'll need to be root to do this).

One other thought - does it work from the root user ? If so, there may be a permissions issue (although I would be surprised if this happened with Knoppix).

Nigel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: