Howto - Tutorials authors needed

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Howto - Tutorials authors needed

Postby epoch » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:23 am

For the past few days, linux-reactor.com team has been searching the internet to get some tutorials and howtos for the site. All searches ended on copyrighted material, that could not be moved of the site.. not much of a linux spirit? isnt it?

So we decided to go another way!

We are searching for Howto and Tutorials authors, to write or give us already written texts, that they would like to see getting published on www.linux-reactor.com .

Those interested please reply to this post, or send us an email at contribute@linux-reactor.com
Quality bits through time..
Lead Sourcerers.org Developer

Linux addict? Check www.linux-reactor.com
epoch

RE: Howto - Tutorials authors needed

Postby epoch » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:05 am

Not a single reply? Disappointing...

epoch

Postby comcamel » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:30 am

well, in my opinion your site needs to look a bit different, in my opinion it looks quite messy, where i would insist that you sort out these problems, where it looks literally as if a bomb as hit it:

google ads: at the side, needs to be turned into a skycraper one or standing on side, one at the bottom needs to be centred with the news content.

: remove the distro race, as it will become over complicated, get someone to create a new system, like distro watch, that is better. and at the bottom it isn't "people" it is person.

make the navigation bar thinner, it looks fat and has a lot of wasted space.

put the forum information in the centre, or at the bottom, as it is making the side column fat, which looks messy,

put the welcom section at the top right in the middle, it is the focal point of your site!

change the colour scheme at the top, red and green are complementary, colours they are opposites choose something the same such as green like you are already using.

Finally i would advise you update the baby tux, it is using someone elses graphics, it doesn't look neat and it should be probably at the right hand side.

your site is considered a public archive on inforamtion allow guests to look around the forum > signup if they wawnt to post something

change the colour of the google ads to match your colour theme for the site

smaller problems: when you go onto the tutorials and onto a smaller directory it moves the middle column, highlight the text at the top doesn't look right as it is uneven, when you go on another page, just change the font colour.

final idea remove the days open, as it goes decimilised which doesn't work and it looks like a gadget off say a tripod website.

i am not criticising your effort as it is a good idea to get a beginners place where they can learn how to use Linux. Just update your site.

If you would like brilliant hosting for free> go to this place, http://buildtolearn.com/

this is a forum where you post stuff like now to earn hosting which is good - whilst i am there so i can help ( Name MR G)
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby AJB2K3 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:31 am

What kind of tutorials do you want?
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:51 pm

A spell check on the site would be a good idea. I spotted three or four errors within a few minutes.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby AJB2K3 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:07 pm

also check your grammer, its worse the mine.
FYI anything posted on the internet is copyright under law the moment a pc reads the first BIT !!! (look for "poor mans copyright")
you just need to ask permission to duplicate it.
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby skecs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:42 am

Look for content under a Creative Commons Licence which can be duplicated much more legally.

AJB2K3 - Just on a side note as soon as some one writes (types, word processes, etc) anything down they have copyright on that unless it is part of their employment or is done at their place of employment or would reasonably be expected to be part of their employment in which case it would belong to their employer. There is a misconception that you must have the Copyright Symbol displayed to have copyright - it just makes it easier to identify the copyright holder. However you are correct in that you just need permission to reproduce the work and correctly identify the copyright author.

I'm having a look - you never know :wink:
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby epoch » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:13 pm

WOW.. what happened here...

comcamel: No body worned you, but changes where going to be made.. it was like a test theme he had before. Please check again, and make comments on the new one. Thank you for your time.

jer1ch0: what i do is programming, and maybe my English are not so good. Spelling mistakes should get eliminated as time passes, and people mention them (as well as the locations detected ;) ).

AJB2K3: We need all kind of tutorials, just check the categories on the Tutorials & Howtos section. If you dont find a category and you would like it to be added, just give us a nudge..

And last but not least.. what with the licences? You got me confused! You found something illegal? You want us to addopt a licence??!!?

epoch

Re: RE: Howto - Tutorials authors needed

Postby AJB2K3 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:47 pm

epoch wrote:WOW.. what happened here..
And last but not least.. what with the licences? You got me confused! You found something illegal? You want us to addopt a licence??!!?

You were saying about "all you could find is copyright meterial.
I was pointing out that ALL material is copyright and the other chap was pointing out which licences was accountable for that.
I repeat me point. if you like a tut ask permission from the author to duplicate the tut or just put a link to it.
several tuts going up on my site "eventualy" are only links to the owners site.
AJB2K3
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Howto - Tutorials authors needed

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:48 am

looks a lot more cleaner, which makes it easier to look at: good job on that.

however i'd recommend that you remove the picture of the fly squating linux in the background it, doesn't look nice when you scroll the page - recommend to move it.

picture at top has disappearded, might be a small bug

it says the amount of images in size: bytes, will get a very high number and hard to read and spoil the format, advised changed it to megabyte, to a decimal...

change the amount of threads on the forum that is displayed at the side, only 5 i would say is needed.

change google ad colour, like previously said

recommend or at least try to see if you remove the forum and the distro on the frontpage that it will make the side colum smaller, so the menu for that side looks neater.

Return to Help!