How do I uninstall KDE 3.3 and install 3.4 [SOLVED]

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How do I uninstall KDE 3.3 and install 3.4 [SOLVED]

Postby percyt » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:19 pm

Now i've managed to get KDE working, The new magazine comes out with 3.4 on it!!!

I've tried to install 3.4 from the cover disk but i'm getting errors all over the place relating to the fact that 3.3 was installed into /usr/kde/3.3 and 3.4 wants to be installed into /usr/local/kde (when I ran .configure it mentioned something about current PATH being one thing and wanting another so I used the --prefix=PATH and it went ahead)

What i'd like to do is fully uninstall 3.3 and then start from scratch with 3.4
Can anyone give me some quick pointers on what I need to do as I don't want to have to start all over again and install Gentoo!!

TIA

Best regards,

Darren
Last edited by percyt on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
percyt

RE: How do I uninstall KDE 3.3 and install 3.4

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:00 pm

Copy all the kde tarballs into /usr/portage/distfiles, then go online and do "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge -f kde", to pick up any other files you may need. Then do "emerge -av kde" to install KDE 3.4 into /usr/kde/3.4. You can unmerge KDE 3.3 later, once you're happy with 3.4.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby percyt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:39 pm

Right - got 3.3 uninstalled by using this thread:-
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=234127

and then followed your instructions to install 3.4

Now when I boot up all I get is the X11 desktop with 3 xterms and the clock.
If I go to /etc/X11/Sessions and run ./kde-3.4 I get kde 3.4

What's missing so that kde 3.4 runs automatically?

And when we've sorted this out - there's the sound card to fix!!! lol

Thanks for all your help!
percyt

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:08 pm

First of all, you should not have uninstalled 3.3 until you had a fully working 3.4 installation. what would you have done if the 3.4 installation had broken completely?

It sounds like you have XSESSION set incorrectly in /etc/rc.conf. Make sure it is set to just "kde", no version numbers. If you have something like "kde-3.3.2" it will break because you have removed 3.3.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby percyt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:23 pm

My rc.conf did read kde-3.4 and I was getting the xterms so I could eventually get kde3.4
I changed it to just kde and now i'm just getting the X mouse pointer on a gray background.

This isn't a majorly used pc - i'm just teaching myself Linux so if 3.4 had gone drastically wrong i'd just start again from scratch.
If there's nothing else I can do now to get it working - I think i'll just will start again.

TIA

Darren
percyt

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:46 pm

If you just start again each time you hit a problem, you won't learn much. Try starting up without X (rc-update del xdm) then log into to consoles. Type "tail -f /var/log/messages" in the first then "/etc/init.d/xdm start" in the second.

When X has started, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to the first console and see what it tells you.

Does "startkde" work? If so, it would seem your KDE installation is fine bit it is a configuration error.
nelz
Site admin

Postby percyt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:31 pm

I changed DISPLAYMANAGER to KDM and then put the 3.4 back into the XSESSION value and it all worked!

Thanks for the help.
percyt

Return to Help!